Can I get a freakin race report?

First true Cat 4 race (not 4/5).
Went out with WAY too low of tire pressure in the rear which caused me to lose my rear around a fast turn and have a decent crash.
Lost lots of spots and was in sort of a no-mans land which makes it hard to get the initiative to really push.
Road at 80% after the crash instead of spending the time to swap the rear wheel in the pit. I was getting bounced around a lot and constantly slamming the rim into the ground. That course is kind of rough.
Got lapped not too far from the finish so I was -Lap. If I had known they were coming I definitely had enough in me to push them off, not sure with the tire though.
Did 4 laps in roughly what would have put me as mid-pack in Cat5 that also did 4 laps, and I was expecting a 5th lap. I wasn't last, had a bunch of people finish behind me, not including the DNFs when I was expecting DFL.

So overall, I was actually pretty happy with how I raced, not happy with how I prepared. Need to pay more attention to tire pressures and realized a hot pre-ride lap is necessary. What was fine for slower course inspection was not fine for race pace.
I miss racing with you, sadfaces mucho. Important notes: HPCX is MAC, so 4/5. Supercross is also 4/5. By the time non-combined fields roll around again next year, I'll be in the 4s and we can race together again.

I do a 30 minite warm up for Ottos...
giphy.gif

No dice dude... No way I can get there without leaving work really early...

issue with priorities.

they actually wanted you to heckle to simulate the race environment!
oh, cookies and donuts too.

it's tomorrow? what time?

Even if I drive to our Red Bank office, it's still an hour away without any traffic. Our FYE was last Friday, so I'm starting from zero again.

I'll add my condensed report. I did the B's Saturday at Hippo as well and it was a blast. I practiced some starts the Thursday before the race and it paid off as shown in Mike's pic. I went hard and clipped in and by the first turn I was clear and in the lead. HOLESHOT!!! Holy sh*t! I was trying to start well but not that well. I HATE racing from the front. I decided to just keep a hard pace - not too hard - and ride it out. I got passed by Jeff J. who snapped his chain approaching the start. Then a short while later two others passed me on lap 2. One of the two that passed took a spill and I got by. That was it. I chased the leader and kept the gap to third and finished second. I was totally not expecting that result. I thought I was definitely at a disadvantage on an open course like that. I want mud or some tech to really benefit me. It almost all worked out in the end though. I definitely wasn't catching 1st although he wasn't far. I was super happy to have that good of a race!

I'm definitely stealing this pic...
hippo holeshot.png

Caffeinated CX was this past weekend. I was sitting 5th on the first lap fighting for position. On the second lap I picked off one after another. Towards the end of the lap before the sandpit I made a hard pass trying to take the lead and rolled and burped my tire and flopped on the ground. Front was too low to race well.

I pitted to get my spare bike and missed the pit exit. Crap. I get back out in 7th place now. I had to charge as hard as I could on my pitbike which is awful compared to my race bike. I did the best I could and I passed 1 racer and then I was in no mans land. I finished 6th. I felt pretty good. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't have a mechanical.

Crap. I get back out in 7th place now.
Were you in a HB kit? I was 8th behind you at that point. Thought I had a shot at catching you for 1/2 a lap then nope.

I was surprised how moderate the pace was the first lap. Seemed like the leaders were holding back quite a bit.

I was surprised how moderate the pace was the first lap. Seemed like the leaders were holding back quite a bit.
Especially at a venue like that, the bike handling and not making a mistake (like burping a tire ;)) really take priority to full out death speed at every section of the course. it's like a ballet. I miss that venue.

Especially at a venue like that, the bike handling and not making a mistake (like burping a tire ;)) really take priority to full out death speed at every section of the course. it's like a ballet. I miss that venue.

Agree. Being smooth was a bigger advantage than speed.

Were you in a HB kit? I was 8th behind you at that point. Thought I had a shot at catching you for 1/2 a lap then nope.

Yep that was me. Yea the first lap wasn't crazy. There was a lot of struggling in the woods that helped with that.

Back
Top Bottom