Camping at Allaire

Zaskar

Son is turning 11 this week and we camping at Allaire on Friday night with some of his buddies. Anyone know about the conditions of the yurts? Are they new, old, clean, worth it over tenting for one night?
@Frank maybe?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Son is turning 11 this week and we camping at Allaire on Friday night with some of his buddies. Anyone know about the conditions of the yurts? Are they new, old, clean, worth it over tenting for one night?
@Frank maybe?

Ironically, I just stumbled on this review. Haven't watched it yet, but the title is on point.

Frank

Sasquatch
@Frank maybe?
Sorry, I have no knowledge of the conditions in the campsites. I would imagine that they are well enough maintained as it is a source of revenue, and that's what they dedicate their resources to.

kjarrett

Resurrecting this old thread.

Can you ride (on trails, no streets/roads with cars) from the Allaire Camping area to the main trails? Appears possible according to Trailforks.

I'm getting back into camping and want to test my gear & setup before Cranks Around the Campfire.

TIA!

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes. Must cross road to the rail trail path, go east, right on hospital road paved walkway to the river trail. Will need to be on road at bridge for 60 feet.
Plus you can hit a bunch of Trails at Brisbane. Right near campground

MMuller

Was just there walking the dog yesterday. Lovely area. Must know though, right next to GSP and constant noise. Pretend it's the sound of the seashore. We were covered in ticks. Douse yourself, check head to toe and take a precautionary course of antibiotics maybe.

kjarrett

Was just there walking the dog yesterday. Lovely area. Must know though, right next to GSP and constant noise. Pretend it's the sound of the seashore. We were covered in ticks. Douse yourself, check head to toe and take a precautionary course of antibiotics maybe.
Well, that sucks. How long were you there? And where did you get the ticks, at the campsite or on the trails or ?

MikeyBikey2000

I think we are talking about 2 different campgrounds.. @Mitch sounds like is talking about the campgrounds that are by Brisbane on the other side of 195.. @MMuller sounds like he's talking about the campgrounds across Hospital Road - I was once riding the campgrounds by brisbane and coming through the quad trails there and there was a family looking for the dinosaurs.. wrong campground/campsites - I know they have different names, but I don't know what they are.. regarding chiggers.. soon, soon

MMuller

I'm talking about the campground just west of the frisbee golf area. I parked in the last parking lot on the right before the intersection and walked the trail in, made a right onto the fire road that takes you to the campground (past the body of water on the left next to sites). That 1st trail was a bit overgrown. Any tall grass near Allaire will cover you in ticks. Take preventative steps and enjoy yourself. No worries.

MikeyBikey2000

I'm talking about the campground just west of the frisbee golf area. I parked in the last parking lot on the right before the intersection and walked the trail in, made a right onto the fire road that takes you to the campground (past the body of water on the left next to sites). That 1st trail was a bit overgrown. Any tall grass near Allaire will cover you in ticks. Take preventative steps and enjoy yourself. No worries.
OK you said next to the GSP, that is what threw me off

kjarrett

467EC911-1BE8-47F3-86A1-90C317BBE45C.png

I'm going to be in the Family Camping area. Purpose of the trip is to try out my camping gear setup for this year, enjoy a campfire, and spend as much time riding Allaire as possible. :) There are plenty of other campgrounds with better amenities, more peaceful surroundings, but nothing with access to great riding (at my ability level) that is this close to home. I live waaaaaay doen south, Atlantic County.

I found these links helpful.

kjarrett

Got back today from two days' camping and riding at Allaire. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone, as a result of the info I got here, I had the maximum amount of fun (and minimal amount of pain) possible.

First, the campground itself was good. I don't camp a lot so I don't really have much of a basis for comparison, but, site #23 was close to the restroom/showers, private and well kept. The restroom/showers were basically clean but the only hot water I could find in the showers was in the wheelchair accessible stall. Worked fine.

Second, the riding/access to Allaire was -exactly- what I hoped for. Mitch's instructions were perfect and the 3-4 miles of doubletrack / asphalt / walking paths was a nice warm-up and cool-down. The Hospital Road bit right before the entrance to the parking area (or after if you're leaving) is sketchy as hell though, no shoulder at all. Fortunately it's only a short bit, maybe 2/10ths of a mile.

Third, this was, overall, pretty much what I signed up for. Set up camp, go riding, come back, eat, sleep, repeat. Which leads me to the ROAD NOISE. Holy crap! When I got there (daytime) I could hear the cars but it wasn't bad. Nighttime is another story, as so many people have mentioned. Thanks to this input, I brought my noise-cancelling headphones and made out mostly okay. Fun fact: noise cancelling headphones don't seem to work when the sound is the BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP of a dump truck backing up. Lucky me, I got highway construction one night! Nice. The second night was better except for a barking dog at 1:30 am, that was super fun.

Finally, the overall vibe of the campground was awesome, it's a small place, people were well behaved, though I had to laugh at the campers next to me literally letting their car run for HOURS so everyone could keep their devices charged. I got a solar-powered power bank (not an affiliate link) that worked well for me.

I also saw a lot of the rest of the park (non-cycling stuff) I never knew existed. It really is a great park, AND a great place to mountain bike.

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9989.jpg
    IMG_9989.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 116

Karate Monkey

Second, the riding/access to Allaire was -exactly- what I hoped for. Mitch's instructions were perfect and the 3-4 miles of doubletrack / asphalt / walking paths was a nice warm-up and cool-down. The Hospital Road bit right before the entrance to the parking area (or after if you're leaving) is sketchy as hell though, no shoulder at all. Fortunately it's only a short bit, maybe 2/10ths of a mile.

Climb up the chute at the foot of the bridge instead of the road. Clears the pipes really well :)

I've got a 26" QR dyno wheel (disc and rim) you could borrow if you want to make watts to power devices. You'll have to provide your own charging hardware though (BuMM/Supernova/Sinewave). Lots o' people seem to have settled more onto larger battery banks, though.

kjarrett

Ahhhh...I saw that trail and wondered where it went! Will definitely try it next time.

Thanks for the offer of a dyno wheel, but that's way beyond my level of sophistication!:D

MikeyBikey2000

There's some riding right in the campground you were in as well. Nothing spectacular but if you wanted to get in a few miles w/o hitting the streets, you could.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions