Calling all skiers/snowboarders

been following some of this - avy danger is crazy right now.

They're supposed to keep getting snow through the end of the month!

Getting back to the original post, for what its worth, I would never go on a skiing/fishing/biking trip like this with people I don't know. Everyone ALWAYS ends up being at a different skill level, which frustrates everyone. I once went on a local fly-fishing trip similar to this, and ended up giving casting lessons and guiding all day.

We're at Big Sky now. 6" of fresh last night. This was taken this morning. The couloir that @ktmrider is referring to is directly above my glove in this pic. I rode my all mtn board today given the powder conditions. Tomorrow I'll hit the groom with the carving stick. The guy on the left is a fellow hardbooter from Seattle with whom I connected on the carving forum. He's riding a Skwal, which is often mistaken for a monoski but is in fact a snowboard.
0307161001a_zps9zro96sl.jpg

0307161001a_zps9zro96sl.jpg
Nice...didn't think people still rode race plates anymore . Had a bunch of carving sticks back in the day factory prime 157 168 and a alp 160. Still have my Wind boots

Lake Tahoe - 4 -7 feet last 12hrs.
10 feet last 10 days.
10-15feet next 10 days.

Delayed openings and some resorts closed because of too much snow.

Must be EPIC!!!!!

Sick! Kirkwood had a pic of a chair near the top of the lift which was covered up t0 its bench in snow.

Last edited:
Nice...didn't think people still rode race plates anymore . Had a bunch of carving sticks back in the day factory prime 157 168 and a alp 160. Still have my Wind boots
Yep, TD Sidewinder step ins for the carving board....just step in and go....I do not miss the strap and rachet softie affairs one bit. The powder/bump board has Burton race plates with newer Ibex bails since the Burton ones, which were last made around 2003 IIRC, are known to break. The FPs were great boards, too bad Burton gave up the ghost on alpine riding.

Buckling in on-the-fly is a skill! I rode with skiers and tele peeps that didn't wait. No need to sit down.

And I'll beat ya up the stairs to the bar at the end of the day. Oh, and they will recognize I ride, hence women buying me beer ;) it could happen.

Yep, TD Sidewinder step ins for the carving board....just step in and go....I do not miss the strap and rachet softie affairs one bit. The powder/bump board has Burton race plates with newer Ibex bails since the Burton ones, which were last made around 2003 IIRC, are known to break. The FPs were great boards, too bad Burton gave up the ghost on alpine riding.

Rode the burton ones and never had a problem with them. Step ins are nice, I had the burton version of them the physics. super stiff. Yeah they had great board back then

By far the best cliff shot I have ever seen, can't imagine what went through his head when he realized he went off at the wrong spot

By far the best cliff shot I have ever seen, can't imagine what went through his head when he realized he went off at the wrong spot

Mind blown
Not even a scratch, that cat just got away with one of his 9lives

Family tripping at the end of the month and wondering what others do as far as getting the skis there. In the past I've traveled with them or done demos but with four of us going I'm looking for suggestions to keep cost down and ease of travel.

Do you ship them ahead or go the luggage route? If shipped who did you use?

pack boots, rent skis + boards - watch the weight limit on the bags.
usually the high end rentals from the shops, rather than the rental corral on-slope.
at some point it has to be close in cost. putting 4 skis, or a couple boards in a single bag ?? vs rental.

which airline? i haven't looked lately.
I packed a burton bag with all my crap one time, maybe 20 or so years ago. probably 70lbs. attendant was going to charge me, until i said it was my only bag. #lucky

upgrade to first class? bags are free (as are drinks!) - want to be a hero, upgrade spouse only.

Family tripping at the end of the month and wondering what others do as far as getting the skis there. In the past I've traveled with them or done demos but with four of us going I'm looking for suggestions to keep cost down and ease of travel.

Do you ship them ahead or go the luggage route? If shipped who did you use?

renting skis is nice because you can adjust for conditions . Your not married to an east coast ski that won't perform in the woods or backcountry . Like when you wake up and there is 10 on the ground and your on a NJ ice ski . Plus it's less of a head ache with travel . I have noticed this is becoming a trend with skiers mainly .

We're flying United....

Just looked it up and below are the polices online....Probably have 4 bags (clothes/stuff) which will be $100...plus, if I read it right I can get...two ski bags and two boot bags for $70? 8 bags for $170+tip?

1st bag -- $25 USD
2nd bag -- $35 USD

Weight per bag -- 50.0 lbs (23 kgs)

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:
  • Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
    • If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
    • A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

renting skis is nice because you can adjust for conditions . Your not married to an east coast ski that won't perform in the woods or backcountry . Like when you wake up and there is 10 on the ground and your on a NJ ice ski . Plus it's less of a head ache with travel . I have noticed this is becoming a trend with skiers mainly .

Yes, the head ache was what I was looking to avoid but also keeping costs down. Still thinking about rentals but maybe just for myself and older son. Wife and younger will mostly be meandering along on groomers so ski performance not an issue.

We're flying United....

Just looked it up and below are the polices online....Probably have 4 bags (clothes/stuff) which will be $100...plus, if I read it right I can get...two ski bags and two boot bags for $70? 8 bags for $170+tip?

1st bag -- $25 USD
2nd bag -- $35 USD

Weight per bag -- 50.0 lbs (23 kgs)

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:
  • Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
    • If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
    • A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.
What mtn are you going to ?

We've always brought our own skis. I've managed to fit 3 pair into a double ski bag and just squeak by under 50 lbs. If it's close, make sure you curbside check your bags and have tip visible to ticket agent. Luggage gets lighter that way.

I've also Fedexed to the hotel ahead of time if we were renting a smaller car. Was more convenient, but more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom