Cable stretching break in period

DMac0312

New here to MTB, I’ve got about 30 miles on my new bike and was wondering what the typical break in period is for new cables and when to re adjust things, what should I be checking for?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it’s as simple as, readjust when it needs readjusting, but I’m no bike mechanic

yea this, as the bike gets used more the adjustment period will stretch out (Unless your like me and constantly breaking stuff :/) as the cables settle in

Karate Monkey

Like chains, the common misconception of 'stretching' doesn't apply to cables. Bowden cables don't stretch under normal circumstances (excepting broken strands or excessive loads, the latter of which cannot occur on a bicycle)--instead, what is happening is the housing burying itself farther into the ferrules. Once the ferrules are seated all the way, the adjustment will stay...typically a handful of uses of the component. Grab the derailleur in its most relaxed position, and use the paddle of the shifter to pull the cable harder than a normal shift. If the adjustment doesn't change, you're done, barring any damage to the housing on the bicycle.

Top Bottom