Buying from a used car dealership

qclabrat

Do yourself a favor and buy an OBDeleven tool if you plan to buy a VW. It’ll read all the fault codes to your smartphone (as well as let you do software mods) although I’d assume the dealer would have cleared all the bad stuff they wanted to hide.

DSG or manual?
for my daughter so DSG, I thought the gen6 GTI were much better with the electrical problem?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I've had a GTI for the last 6 years, bought it with 20k miles on it, have 70k on it now. Pretty basic car, cloth seats, no Nav, but satellite radio and DSG. I drive the car hard (its actually better for it), keep up with maintenance (including DSG transmission fluid change at 40K). Don't do the 10k oil changes like they tell you, do them every 5k. The oil these days is good enough for 10k, but the oil filters are not. The car has been very reliable, nothing to report. The balance of power/handling in the car is amazing. For the money, I don't think anything can touch it. On the right roads (twisty and tight), I've embarrassed many and M3, Vette, 911. Like any enthusiast car, make sure you don't get one from someone who modded it.

qclabrat

I've had a GTI for the last 6 years, bought it with 20k miles on it, have 70k on it now. Pretty basic car, cloth seats, no Nav, but satellite radio and DSG. I drive the car hard (its actually better for it), keep up with maintenance (including DSG transmission fluid change at 40K). Don't do the 10k oil changes like they tell you, do them every 5k. The oil these days is good enough for 10k, but the oil filters are not. The car has been very reliable, nothing to report. The balance of power/handling in the car is amazing. For the money, I don't think anything can touch it. On the right roads (twisty and tight), I've embarrassed many and M3, Vette, 911. Like any enthusiast car, make sure you don't get one from someone who modded it.

good info, I have to go back to "see" the car as the salesguy forgot to tell me it was not on the lot and being prepped. I assume if they are willing to CPO it, there should not be any red flags not reported by Carfax. Checked out a black GTI while there, and the size checks out with a more reasonable interior than any of the Minis. The car is white, which I assume was not a dude's car :rolleyes:, not saying girls don't beat on their cars, but you know what I mean...
I could get her a Golf or Honda Fit, but for her first car I wanted her to have something a bit nicer to rolling into the HS lot.
006FTD_Verena_Mei_003.jpg

rlb

I assume if they are willing to CPO it, there should not be any red flags not reported by Carfax

IMO if it qualifies for CPO they would be selling it as CPO. Why wouldn't they want to sell the car for more money if they could? I think the "it'll cost more" tactic is something to divert your attention.

qclabrat

IMO if it qualifies for CPO they would be selling it as CPO. Why wouldn't they want to sell the car for more money if they could? I think the "it'll cost more" tactic is something to divert your attention.
I think its more about the reconditioning part and not mechanics. If they can get the car out the door in a few days instead of having to update the scheduled maintenance like the trans fluid, new tires and brakes, etc. Actually, I'm willing to pay extra for the CPO, that would make my wife feel better about the car as well.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I think its more about the reconditioning part and not mechanics. If they can get the car out the door in a few days instead of having to update the scheduled maintenance like the trans fluid, new tires and brakes, etc. Actually, I'm willing to pay extra for the CPO, that would make my wife feel better about the car as well.

The last vehicle I bought earlier this year, they tried to get me to pay more for the CPO. Its just a tactic. End of the day, I paid the price I wanted with the CPO thrown in. This time of the year they won't let you walk away, so stay firm and threaten to leave. If you do leave, they'll probably call you within a day.

qclabrat

The last vehicle I bought earlier this year, they tried to get me to pay more for the CPO. Its just a tactic. End of the day, I paid the price I wanted with the CPO thrown in. This time of the year they won't let you walk away, so stay firm and threaten to leave. If you do leave, they'll probably call you within a day.
yep, she's still 16 till April, so no hurry
I'll likely drive it till she needs it, so as to take some mileage off mine, which is approaching 200K

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Actually, I'm willing to pay extra for the CPO
Bad Walter! Bad!
You should have the demeanor that CPO should be a given and should be included in the price you will negotiate to. Otherwise, why bother with a dealer? Might as well buy from a private seller or a small used car lot for less money. Discuss out the door price as a CPO. Its been years for me and I might be not up to date but to CPO a car, I believe its only a couple of hundred bucks for the dealer plus whatever service the car requires.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
OBDeleven should work with most VAG cars from the 1990's on up present. Probably won't work with your 996. I don't have one but I've heard good things. I bought the Ross-Tech VAG-COM before OBDeleven was available. It cost a bit more and requires a PC but may do more stuff.

DSGs are fun. 40k DSG service gets a little pricey. Check service records and make sure oil was done regularly. Also check to see if coil packs have been replaced. That one is cheap and easy to do but it's something to check on.

Not sure whether you can tell if the car has had the ECU flashed (APR or similar) using the tools. ECU flash might be a positive or negative depending on your point of view. Plenty of people who have high mileage flashed cars without problems. Look for other signs that the car might have been beat on by previous owner (mods like aftermarket air intake, etc...)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
OBDeleven should work with most VAG cars from the 1990's on up present. Probably won't work with your 996. I don't have one but I've heard good things. I bought the Ross-Tech VAG-COM before OBDeleven was available. It cost a bit more and requires a PC but may do more stuff.

DSGs are fun. 40k DSG service gets a little pricey. Check service records and make sure oil was done regularly. Also check to see if coil packs have been replaced. That one is cheap and easy to do but it's something to check on.

Not sure whether you can tell if the car has had the ECU flashed (APR or similar) using the tools. ECU flash might be a positive or negative depending on your point of view. Plenty of people who have high mileage flashed cars without problems. Look for other signs that the car might have been beat on by previous owner (mods like aftermarket air intake, etc...)

The DSG service is $300 bucks, and needs to be done every 40k, or your engine/drive train warranty could be voided if something goes wrong. I think thats a reasonable cost for a maintenance that needs to be performed a those intervals. I looked into doing it myself, but it required a special tool, is a little tricky with the need to have the fluids at a certain temp, plus if something did go wrong down the road, they could blame me for a doing it myself vs. a qualified tech.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The DSG service is $300 bucks, and needs to be done every 40k, or your engine/drive train warranty could be voided if something goes wrong. I think thats a reasonable cost for a maintenance that needs to be performed a those intervals. I looked into doing it myself, but it required a special tool, is a little tricky with the need to have the fluids at a certain temp, plus if something did go wrong down the road, they could blame me for a doing it myself vs. a qualified tech.

Good to know. I just picked up a DSG car recently after having a manual for years and thought it was more like $8-900. As with the timing belt service on my old car, I should have figured DSG service could be done better and cheaper by the local independent VW/Audi shop.

qclabrat

they are starting to dump new 2017 GTIs, can get them for $10K off and 0% apr for 5 years
kind of a no brainer, going to pitch to the spouse even though a bit more than the budget

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
GTI>>>>>>>>Any Mini.

CPO does add cost to the selling dealer for most manufacturers because the brand ends up extending the warranty coverage. CPO is basically an extended warranty with a pre-inspection to make sure the dealership doesn't get screwed CPO-ing a car that was beat on. Ford is $500 cost to the dealership to CPO a car. So some dealers choose to not CPO to keep the advertised price down a little bit. On my Raptor it was not CPO and I didn't want it to be; $500 more for 12M/12K warranty. I was able to purchase 8Y/75K B2B extended warranty for $1250 through Ford Corporate.

If you are looking at new VW, Justin Gelatro at Bridgewater was good to deal with. Bernardsville was great. So was Freehold DCH. Bernardsville and Freehold were very serious about getting business and matching prices.

My GF's 2017 Jetta S lease was $179/month $0 out of pocket (other than first month's payment) 15K/year for 36M. Great car for the money, but it's not a GTI and the lease numbers on the GTI were at least $100/month more at the time.

qclabrat

they are starting to dump new 2017 GTIs, can get them for $10K off and 0% apr for 5 years
kind of a no brainer, going to pitch to the spouse even though a bit more than the budget

update, after about a 50 emails with a few dealers down there, it's still a bolus of a inconsistent information
Some want to charge me $2500 extra to use the VW financing
if I bring cash it's an additional $500
processing fees range from 300 to close to 1000
one tells me the discount includes VW partner program, which I've been told should not impact the selling price and would be applied regardless of negotiated price
no one would give me a number for tags and title, apparently I need to speak with the financing manager???

I've told them all I'm not coming down till everything is clear on email.
Has anyone gone down to a dealer with something in writing to be overturned by the sales manager when you get there?

Luckily I'm in no rush to buy a car, I like to do my research, buy the car in and out like most of you
I'm starting to think the $10K off with 0% apr was too good to be true, guess I'll start looking for used again

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
TrueCar was showing $4000 off a $26500 GTI when I looked last week.

I've had a manager try to change a deal on me. It was on a trade in number when I was buying the Focus ST. They had assumed my CX-5 was AWD when it was FWD. It was a $1000 trade in difference (and I was curious why the number was so high but whatever). I ended up splitting the difference with them because the appraiser made an honest mistake and the ST price was too low to walk away from. If they were playing games or bait-and-switch I would sure walk (or gotten thrown out).

Last edited:

trener1

Like Carson says CPO definitely costs the dealer $$, I bought a used car from a dealer just under 2 years ago, and a couple of dealers that I went to (all the same brand) had cars on the lot that we already CPO'd and the told me that they would knock $2k off the price of the car if I didn't want the CPO, it was the same # at a few dealers so I am assuming that is what they have to fork over to the Manufacturer (in my case it was Volvo)

qclabrat

Like Carson says CPO definitely costs the dealer $$, I bought a used car from a dealer just under 2 years ago, and a couple of dealers that I went to (all the same brand) had cars on the lot that we already CPO'd and the told me that they would knock $2k off the price of the car if I didn't want the CPO, it was the same # at a few dealers so I am assuming that is what they have to fork over to the Manufacturer (in my case it was Volvo)
I think CPOs only cost the dealers money if they put money up to get the car to CPO standards, such as tires, brakes maintenance. Otherwise the CPO is covered by the manufacturer after the sale.

Top Bottom