Buick Enclave Motor Dead

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Has not been a good year for vehicles with me. Just got the news that #3 and #5 cylinders have no compression. Only 108,000 miles, GM sucks. Their theory is that the timing chain went?, but wouldn't say anything more without a complete teardown. $7500 for a new motor. :eek:

Any suggestions other than FIRE! @Dingo ?

Thanks

crate motor from autozone, $750 worth of good beer, and some tools. @extremedave, will do it in your driveway.
(he'll want cash, not beer)

two cylinders next to each other is not a timing belt -
guess: a broken cam shaft (dual oh cams?) or
cracked head or
cylinder wall between 3&5 .

head is easy. cam is easy. cylinder wall, not so easy.

is the oil foamy?

Give Dustin a call at Maxx's Fleet Repairs. Tell him I referred you. He's a very good mechanic and won't rip you off. But he is busy. He also has a tow truck to scoop your shitbox. Drive the M3 in the meantime. I'm sick of seeing it parked in the driveway with a layer of dust on it.

https://maxxsfleetrepairs.com/

Timing chains most likely. Except worn chains will set timing error codes long before they are worn enough to jump and bend valves. Has the CEL been on? Pretty much all that goes wrong with a 3.6. I've done 100's of chains. 1 complete motor due to human error. Get a second opinion, who/where did the first guess? Even chains and a few valves are less $ than some rebuilt Jasper hunk of shit.

Toyota end of story.

I'd probably buy another Toyota, but they're not all great. My Camry burns oil like it's going out of style, pulls to the left (can't fix it) and eats struts every 60k. And the trans sucks. On the plus side the rear drum brakes lasted 160k miles.

Timing chains most likely. Except worn chains will set timing error codes long before they are worn enough to jump and bend valves. Has the CEL been on? Pretty much all that goes wrong with a 3.6. I've done 100's of chains. 1 complete motor due to human error. Get a second opinion, who/where did the first guess? Even chains and a few valves are less $ than some rebuilt Jasper hunk of shit.
No CEL, oil always changed on schedule. Smoke is blowing out the oil fill when the cap is off, but no smoke out tailpipe. Diagnosed at Flemington Buick, but they just found the low compression and jumped to replace the motor. Obviously they are not going to do any more investigations without me paying for it. Taking it to a local shop for a better diagnosis and estimate.

You want to come over my house with your welder and try and fix the pile of shit that is my toyota?
Bet it still runs. 80s and 90s japanese cars rotted out just like 2000-current domestic trucks. Is what it is and no brand is perfect. When you research reliable vehicles and resale value you don't find much besides Toyota or Honda models.

Smoke out the oil fill, thats a game changer. A bore scope in the spark plug hole would be the easiest way to see the damage. The head removal procedure involves engine removal. It is possible to sneak it out in vehicle, but really tight. I will have to agree with what the dealer found & advised, needs a new bullet. Weird because, other than chains they are reliable engines. How old this truck? GM offers assistance on major repairs. Call them and see if they will put it in the "calculator"

@Dingo , Here is the diagnosis:

A CUSTOMER STATES THE CAR KEEPS DYING WILL NOT KEEP RUNNING CHECK AND

ADVISE

CAUSE: ENGINE HAS SEVERE INTERNAL DAMAGE, DTC PO303 STORED.

CONCERN CUSTOMER STATES THE CAR KEEPS DYING WILL

NOT KEEP RUNNING CHECK AND ADVISE

7691 CPA 124.88 124.88

PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 124.88 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE A: 124.88

108816 CHECKED FOR DTC, P0303 STORED, CYL 5 ALSO SHOWED MISFIRE IN

DATA DISPLAY. PERFORMED COMPRESSION TEST ON CYL 5 50 PSI, CHECKED CYL 1

130 PSI. THIS INDICATED POSS OUT OF TIME CONDITION AND FAILURE IN CYL.

3. SMOKE PUFFS OUT ON CRANKCASE INDICATING CYL. AND PISTON DAMAGE.

RECOMMEND REPLACE ENGINE.

B MPI VISUAL INSPECTION

MPI MPI VISUAL INSPECTION

7691 CPA 0.00 0.00

PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE B: 0.00

C** DIAGNOSTIC CHARGE

10 DRIVEABILITY

7691 CPA 0.00 0.00

PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE C: 0.00

Back
Top Bottom