Bucket list....

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I don't have a real big bucket list of rides races but here are a few...what do you have. Mt Washington Hill Climb, Dirty Dozen road ride, http://www.adventurerace.com/en/ La Ruta, Shenandoah 100, Bearscat,True Grit NUE, I also want to ride the white ring trail and a real pipe dream is to pedal across America. On a side note does anyone have any input on the Mt Washington climb?

I don't have a real big bucket list of rides races but here are a few...what do you have. Mt Washington Hill Climb, Dirty Dozen road ride, http://www.adventurerace.com/en/ La Ruta, Shenandoah 100, Bearscat,True Grit NUE, I also want to ride the white ring trail and a real pipe dream is to pedal across America. On a side note does anyone have any input on the Mt Washington climb?
Paging @merritt for Mt. Washington. He's done it like 6 times

I have lots of info so feel free to ask.
The 2 most common questions are.....what gearing and to wear.

I have lots of info so feel free to ask.
The 2 most common questions are.....what gearing and to wear.
I guess starter questions. Is reg a flat $350 or do u need to fundraise as well? If I understand correctly they charge you $350 and anything you raise up to $350 they reimburse after the event and anything over $350/reg cost is donated?
What gearing, did altitufe affect you, what did you where and do you ride back down?
Being a rookie I would think this ride would take around 2 1/2 hours on a mediocre day. I would probably where my typical summer kit but pack gloves and a light riding jacket for the summit. I'd think a 2 liter camelbak, one bar, a couple gus and a couple salt tabs should be about it?
This is just a guess @merritt and I have only driven up there 2 times. I'd like to use this as a pre ride for Mt Evans down the road.

Shenandoah 100, Bearscat,True Grit NUE,...

Shenandoah is awesome although a bunch of the climbing is in the last part of the course which is a killer. Great race top to bottom though.

Bearscat is the best race in the state. Terrain just can't be beat and 50 miles of torture in a local venue is great.

I've ridden the trails in the True Grit but would love to make it out for the event. With my schedule that's not likely to ever happen though.

Personally I'd love to throw in the Pisgah Stage Race, Transylvanian Epic, or BC Bike race on my Bucket List. I've gotta give one of these a go at least once.

You must come up with $350 ( it was $100 when I started doing it) and EVERYTHING is a donation. Even if it gets cancelled due to weather. The weather that can cancel it is wind and or ice.

Gearing is very difficult if you have nothing to compare it with but there are cadence/time charts that give you a range to work with. Basically, you need a gearing that fits your cadence.

Altitude will not be a factor and you will NOT be riding back down.
Bring clothing for a wide range of Temps but DO NOT over dress for the climb. 50° feels like 100° during the climb because of the effort it takes. Arm and leg warmers typically work best but have winter gear go up in your summit bag.

It will not take you 2 1/2 hrs. But either way, your time doesn't matter, just get to the top and enjoy the experience of it. If you get the bug, worry about your time the following year.

I wouldn't put 2 liters on my back and it's extremely difficult to eat on that climb. A GU is especially difficult.

Mt washington and mt evans are just rides for me. I like to race. The longest day is just a ride. The dirty dozen is just a ride. I don't see myself ever being a hillclimb contender so those taces are rides for me @UtahJoe
So @David Taylor your bucket list of rides is all races? Not places to ride?

Bc I was going to say, ride the whole enchilada, best "ride" I have ever done
t

up or down?
Down, started at the observatory...really fun. Of course if you are in Maui....there wasnt much I could think of that wasnt a fun time. Amazing place. If I had time I might have done the road bike ride too. 0-10,000 back to 0 would be a pretty neat ride profile.

Back
Top Bottom