Brandywine Valley Roubaix 2016

Mountain Bike Mike

Anyone else doing... I just reg'd

From Bike Reg.. Looks like three spots available.

Brandywine Valley Roubaix

1st annual Grand Fondo/Gravel Grinder

Chester County Velo and WCCX is pleased to announce the 1st annual Brandywine Valley Roubaix (BVR). This Grand Fondo/Gravel Grinder takes the rider through scenic country-side of the Brandywine Valley, some of the most unspoiled area in the Mid-Atlantic. The full ride is 55 miles (4,000 feet of climbing) with over 40% consisting of gravel/mix surface including the famed 1 mile long Hill Top Road climb (10% grade in some sections). The course is suited for both road (25 mm tires best) and Cyclocross bikes and will have a road bypass option for avoiding several of the more technical sections. Course map and additional information: https://www.facebook.com/brandywinevalleyroubaix/. To ensure everyone has an excellent ride, we are capping total registration at 230 riders. There will be day of registration available ($25) if this total is not reached at the close of pre-registration.

As with previous WCCX events a portion of the proceeds will benefit two local charities. Quest Therapeutic Services (www.QuestTherapeutic.com) is a non-profit therapy center that provides specialized services for children with disabilities (such as autism, cerebral palsy, genetic defects, traumatic brain injuries and stroke). Children aged 2 to 21 receive physical, occupational and speech therapy services including hippotherapy as well as early intervention. Hippotherapy utilizes the movement of the horse with standard therapy to improve balance, coordination, strength, sensory integration and communication skills. Quest is the only fulltime provider of hippotherapy in the Delaware Valley. Our second charity is the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Mountain Bike Association (www.pamtb.org), which is a new grass-roots organization developing High and Middle School mountain bike programs in our immediate area.

The BVR will be supported by Bike Line although riders are responsible for on-the-road mechanicals. A feed stop will be located a few miles away from the historic Whip Tavern. There will also be an after ride pizza and refreshment party sponsored by Holly Gross Realty Group and Whip Tavern. This event is a Grand Fondo that takes place on open and public roads and all riders must obey the rules of the road.

We will provide several routing options for the ride including:

• Full ride with all gravel sections (53 miles)
  • Full ride with road bypass (55 miles)
  • 25 mile ride (combination of road and gravel)
  • Family Fun 2 mile ride (combination of road and gravel)
Course map and additional information: https://www.facebook.com/brandywinevalleyroubaix/

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Not going, but it's a great area to ride. Most of the course is the same as Gravel Fondo, which happens in late November. I've done that the last two years and I love it. Apparently, there has been some controversy about this ride since GF is free and now people are being charged to ride the same roads, but whatever. Chester County is awesome for riding bikes.

Just be sure to enjoy those 40-50 mph winds that are happening out there this weekend. That should make some of it really special since there are a few sections of long open road.

1speed

From what I heard about this ride, it pretty much sounded like my definition of hell. If a bunch of self-serious douchebags are actually forming echelons to ride a gran fondo, it's probably a day I wouldn't consider riding on the road. I'm sure the ride itself was beautiful - that whole area is - but wow, did that sound terrible.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
From what I heard about this ride, it pretty much sounded like my definition of hell. If a bunch of self-serious douchebags are actually forming echelons to ride a gran fondo, it's probably a day I wouldn't consider riding on the road. I'm sure the ride itself was beautiful - that whole area is - but wow, did that sound terrible.
I wasn't there, so this is just a general comment, but if you are riding in a group with winds like yesterday, wouldn't it be a disservice to not ride in an echelon? It would kinda just form naturally unless everyone wanted to be beat up by a cross wind

1speed

I wasn't there, so this is just a general comment, but if you are riding in a group with winds like yesterday, wouldn't it be a disservice to not ride in an echelon? It would kinda just form naturally unless everyone wanted to be beat up by a cross wind

I suppose, but I heard from someone who just signed up to do a bike ride that some middle-aged dude was trying to "instruct" her and her friends to "work with the group" in an echelon. She's not what you'd call a serious roadie, so she didn't even know what that was and when she told the guy she isn't used to riding in groups, he got pissed. So that's the douchebaggery I'm talking about. Get over yourself, weekend warrior. It wasn't Paris-Roubaix.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I suppose, but I heard from someone who just signed up to do a bike ride that some middle-aged dude was trying to "instruct" her and her friends to "work with the group" in an echelon. She's not what you'd call a serious roadie, so she didn't even know what that was and when she told the guy she isn't used to riding in groups, he got pissed. So that's the douchebaggery I'm talking about. Get over yourself, weekend warrior. It wasn't Paris-Roubaix.
OK, i guess that is when you know you should drop out of that particular group. In my limited experience, to warrant a verbal comment takes a pretty dumb mistake but not knowing what an echelon is doesn't fall into that category.

Mountain Bike Mike

The wind played a huge factor in the first 25 miles. The course included lots of road that protected you from the wind but those roads were tough... Gravel, climbing - so it wasn't like you could just chill and rest. The first group slowly thinned as the ride progressed. Being in the front group all day, it was clear that everyone around me was interested in working together to battle the wind yet no one spoke about it - its just what everyone did.. The majority of the group took turns eating the wind, some stronger riders hung out in front longer than others - just cause that is what they decided to do. I had my time in the front several times but the group was large enough where you could sit in for a while. At one point when we hit around mile 23 - 25, it was a wide open field straight on head wind and a few guys were cheering on the guys in the front because it was brutal. One of the Toasted Head guys - his name escapes me at the moment - he was like 7' tall and I would find him and sit in as much as I could. I thanked him after the ride for saving me from eating wind all day.

Once we turned the corner and had that tail wind, life was grand. I was relieved because I fought like hell to stay with that group in that headwind cause I knew it would've been a nightmare riding it alone. BUT the backside of that course, even with the tail wind, had two big climbs. one was "Hilltop". It was a VERY loose dirt gravel climb approximately a mile long that continually pitched steeper and steeper. According to Bob the promoter, that was the event's showcase climb and it stung like hell. I was dropped on that climb and then murdered myself for a couple more miles to bridge back. Then with less than 10 miles to go, there was "Doughnut hill" where you stopped for a apple cider doughnuts at the top. The doughnut made the climb well worth it and that brief break made the remainder of the ride easier. That top of the climb was on the road behind Bam Margera's house. Since I was a Jackass fan, I thought it was neat.

Some of those gravel roads were literally trails. The storm the night before made a huge mess, we were constantly dodging debris, sticks and logs. Made for lots of fun.

If you find yourself in a position to do this event, it's worth it.

1speed

One of the Toasted Head guys - his name escapes me at the moment - he was like 7' tall and I would find him and sit in as much as I could. I thanked him after the ride for saving me from eating wind all day.

Sounds like Francis Cuddy (but it's no longer Toasted Head - TH is done and gone. He's a Rare Disease Cycling guy now.) He's monkey strong.

rick81721

Lothar

I hope the fletch buffoon isn't like this. I don't like riding in a clump of chumps

Top Bottom