Brakes

Wolfie2nd

Can someone hook me up with some know how on bleeding promax hydraulic brakes and do I need any special tools ? have no brakes at all break leavers go right to the bar. And I noticed the screw on the caliper had fluid dripping from it so maybe ive got some air in there.. Someone please help biking is my new addiction and I need my fix tomorrow..
Thanks in advance,
Doug

if you have ever bled car brakes the procedure is basically the same, a piece of hose on the bleeder valve going into a bottle (i use a water bottle for the bike and an old 1qt oil/brake fluid bottle on the car) and keep the reservoir topped off, squeeze the lever and open the valve, when fluid/air stops moving close valve and let go of handle, repeat until you have no more air bubbles coming through the hose (if you use a clear hose you can see this sooner by looking through it)

make sure you use the correct fluid as recommended by the brake manufacturer, some use DOT (standard automotive brake fluid) and others use mineral oil

if you have ever bled car brakes the procedure is basically the same, a piece of hose on the bleeder valve going into a bottle (i use a water bottle for the bike and an old 1qt oil/brake fluid bottle on the car) and keep the reservoir topped off, squeeze the lever and open the valve, when fluid/air stops moving close valve and let go of handle, repeat until you have no more air bubbles coming through the hose (if you use a clear hose you can see this sooner by looking through it)

make sure you use the correct fluid as recommended by the brake manufacturer, some use DOT (standard automotive brake fluid) and others use mineral oil

Ok cool an im guessing the reservoir is up in the break leaver?an the bleeder in the caliper? ok thanks I'll give that a shot when I get home from work.

Ok cool an im guessing the reservoir is up in the break leaver?an the bleeder in the caliper? ok thanks I'll give that a shot when I get home from work.

Yup also there will likely be a seal around the reservoir cover so make sure that gets replaces properly or you'll have problems all over again. If you had fluid dripping from the bleeder screw in the caliper that's the culprit, it was loose.

Yup also there will likely be a seal around the reservoir cover so make sure that gets replaces properly or you'll have problems all over again. If you had fluid dripping from the bleeder screw in the caliper that's the culprit, it was loose.

My only problem is im not understanding how in going to push the fluid up threw the caliper??

My only problem is im not understanding how in going to push the fluid up threw the caliper??

Pulling the brake lever will move the fluid (and air) through the line to the caliper. Eventually it will be all fluid. You need to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. If it gets too low you'll pull air into the line instead of fluid and you'll have to start over again.

Now I dont want to sound stupid but Im going to put what im gatering on here an you guys tell me if im right. So im going to rig a hose from the caliper to break fluid and use the break leaver to suck it threw?? Please dont mind the questions learning to work on bikes all over again. Never had suspention or hydro breaks.. Only bmx bikes when I was a kid..
Thanks again for all the help guys
Doug

Last edited:
Now I dont want to sound stupid but Im going to put what im gatering on here an you guys tell me if im right. So im going to rig a hose from the caliper to break fluid and use the break leaver to suck it threw?? Please dont mind the questions learning to work on bikes all over again. Never had suspention or hydro breaks.. Only bmx bikes when I was a kid..
Thanks again for all the help guys
Doug

Doug...

Check YouTube for a tutorial. Different brakes may have some different steps, but I think its the same general idea. Id also check the brake manufacturers site to see what info they have.

For what its worth, I always let a bike shop bleed my brakes. It's one of those things ill leave to the people who get paid to work on bikes to take care of.

But if you are a guy who likes to do it yourself.... Have at it. Good luck, and don't get any brake fluid in your eyes!

Doug...

Check YouTube for a tutorial. Different brakes may have some different steps, but I think its the same general idea. Id also check the brake manufacturers site to see what info they have.

For what its worth, I always let a bike shop bleed my brakes. It's one of those things ill leave to the people who get paid to work on bikes to take care of.

But if you are a guy who likes to do it yourself.... Have at it. Good luck, and don't get any brake fluid in your eyes!

I like to know whats going on with everything and what it takes to get a job done when something breaks. I think if your gonna use it might as well know how to fix it .Thanks for the info..

Back
Top Bottom