brake upgrade question

02camaro

i have a 2017 yeti sb5.5 with shimano xt brakes 180mm rotors front and rear, it is fine for trails but ones i get to the gravity parks im finding myself progressively getting more and more under gunnned. as i get faster my brakes are fading and just not cutting it. i want to upgrade to saints or hope v4s, leaning towards saints. will there be any sacrifices with either brakes while riding normal trails? this is my do it all bike and it needs to do everything, 6mr, allaire, creek, killington etc. would either be better suited for double duty compared to the other? ive heard the saints are grabby but is this something that has a learning curve, or will it make non gravity trails miserable?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only think which could be considered a downfall would be weight. Otherwise the 4piston braking will be fine.

You could also upgrade the rotors to 200mm and that will definitely add braking power to the current setup.

Maybe try that before you go all in. The larger rotors should cut down the fade.

qclabrat

what are you running for brake pads?
I'm also doing the XT with 200mm rotors up front, Also have Saint M810s, but I did a dumbdumb move and cut the hose too short

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
When's the last time you replaced pads ? I'm only running guides with 180 rotors but with full metallic pads and there fine for creek and everything else I've ridden

Tim

aka sptimmy43
How are metallic pads for trail riding when they don't get as hot? I have only ridden organic pads and am thinking of switching.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How are metallic pads for trail riding when they don't get as hot? I have only ridden organic pads and am thinking of switching.
Only down side to full metallic is the ocasional noise when getting wet , but at least they still grab hard when wet so really it's a no brainer

02camaro

If you do replace your brakes, can I call dibbs??
i went with the hope v4 so the xts are sitting in the bin. i think im going to hold onto them, id like to build a short travel trail bike this winter, that would be perfect for them.

Top Bottom