Brake Recommendations other than Shimano/Sram

phillychris498

I've had shimano XT brakes on my XC bike forever now. I find they are reliable, but I don't like the modulation and find that they aren't powerful enough for me in some of the most critical scenarios. On the other hand, I have Sram Guide R brakes on my trail bike. I enjoy the modulation of those brakes, but when riding tech on warm days the fluid boils inside of the brake line at the rotor. I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my trail bike since that's what I'm riding 90% of the time at this point now that my XC racing days are past me.

I'm fairly heavy on my brakes compared to other riders and want a brake that is consistently reliable with power when riding technical trails. My initial interests for brake upgrades on my trail bike are Magura MT trail sport and the Hope Tech 3 E4. Does anyone have experience with either of these brakes that can describe how they perform, or does anyone have other recommendations based on the trails I ride/my style of riding? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Xler8

I have Hope Tech 3 E4’s on my bike and overall they are good. Easily adjustable, bleed nicely, and good modulation. One thing that I would like to be able to change is the actual lever themselves. I feel the SRAM levers just feel a little better, but that’s just preference.

JDurk

Hope Tech 3 X2 front and rear. Almost put an E4 on the front. The MT Races I took off are OEM and not the greatest. Can't speak for the MT trail sport.

phillychris498

Hope Tech 3 X2 front and rear. Almost put an E4 on the front. The MT Races I took off are OEM and not the greatest. Can't speak for the MT trail sport.
I've leaned towards Hope for a while. If I went that direction I'd certainly go for the Tech 3 E4 because of the increased braking power for larger trail bikes.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
hope tech 3 x2 on the hardtail - best upgrade ever.
I'm going to move them to the tallboy eventually.

qclabrat

all this chatter gave me the itchy finger
just picked up a pair of the e4s, now to decide which bike gets the upgrade
how would they hold up for an enduro/DH bike? I hear they don't have as much power as Saints or Codes

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have Sram Guide R brakes on my trail bike. I enjoy the modulation of those brakes, but when riding tech on warm days the fluid boils inside of the brake line at the rotor..
this shouldn't happen , I have guide r on my enduro rig and can ride creek all day long with zero issues , no fade no adjustments .

phillychris498

all this chatter gave me the itchy finger
just picked up a pair of the e4s, now to decide which bike gets the upgrade
how would they hold up for an enduro/DH bike? I hear they don't have as much power as Saints or Codes

Where'd you buy the E4's from? I'm interested to see which vendors can offer the best prices on Hope gear.

phillychris498

this shouldn't happen , I have guide r on my enduro rig and can ride creek all day long with zero issues , no fade no adjustments .

Of course it shouldn't happen, but I've only had problems with this set of Guide brakes. I think I heard somewhere that Guide R's were recalled at some point... my bike is a 2016 so it has 2016 Sram Guide R brakes, does anyone know if those were recalled?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Of course it shouldn't happen, but I've only had problems with this set of Guide brakes. I think I heard somewhere that Guide R's were recalled at some point... my bike is a 2016 so it has 2016 Sram Guide R brakes, does anyone know if those were recalled?
If the lever is returning slowly or just feeling slow and tight especially if in direct sunlight then get the masters warrantied , any good bike shop knows about the issue

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

@jdog
@jimvreeland

i think the answer is yes. they basically lock up? or go to zero modulation?

phillychris498

@jdog
@jimvreeland

i think the answer is yes. they basically lock up? or go to zero modulation?
The brakes boil on hotter days under heavy braking on more technical trails, notably Lynn Woods in Massachusetts. This makes the brakes have significantly less braking power. I've also had issues with the rear brake seizing up and having no modulation, which will normally happen when I don't ride for a while.

Top Bottom