Brake Conversion

pjrohr

Anyone have advice or tips for converting to disc brakes...what size, brand, etc. I've looked around and it seems I need adapters and the kit itself, but I also don't know if my existing quick release hubs will suffice. Any advice is appreciated.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I'm not 100% sure about your frame and fork but you'll need disc hubs to start with. If your forks don't have caliper mounts their "might" be kits to adapt them. I have seen kits for adapting calipers to many frames but I'm not sure of the price.

heythorp

also just may not be "cost effective"

That is why i asked about the bike. It just might be time for a new bike. good reason to get one anyways.

pjrohr

Yeah, I was just about there this week with a Rocky Mountain, but I felt in the end like I was buying too much bike given my current riding. Also not in the position to spend what I probably have to to upgrade, so I figured I'd tune and tweak the old bike up a bit.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
pjrohr said:
Yeah, I was just about there this week with a Rocky Mountain, but I felt in the end like I was buying too much bike given my current riding. Also not in the position to spend what I probably have to to upgrade, so I figured I'd tune and tweak the old bike up a bit.

What's your budget?

heythorp

pjrohr said:
Ideally around $1,500.

you can get a heck of a hard tail for that money with disk brakes, you can even get into a pretty good fs rig too with disks and then upgrade the parts as time goes on
are you looking to stay hardtail?

pjrohr

Would prefer fs, but that's the other thing holding me back at the moment...not sure what to look for...there's lot of new technology getting thrown at me at the shops. I'm about 5'6" and around 130 lbs. Don't do a heck of a lot of downhill, primarily stuff in and around Morris and Somerset counties. They ask about how much travel I want and I start talking about Italy and Scotland!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
heythorp said:
you can get a heck of a hard tail for that money with disk brakes, you can even get into a pretty good fs rig too with disks and then upgrade the parts as time goes on
are you looking to stay hardtail?

A buddy of mine just picked up a sick stumpy for $1500 off of ebay. But yeah, for $1500 you can get a pretty nice bike.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hell, for about a $1000 more you could get an NEW trek ex7...or if you do the ebay thing, get one for even less. i'm "a little" bigger than you (5'10", 215ish), usually ride 3 or 4 times a week and have had zero issues with it. i'm not easy on it either. but like everyone else said, you really could get a great hard tail for that kinda cash. travel...well...the ex7 will get you about four inches in the front. i think i've only bottomed it out once, but i know my next bike should have five especially if i'm still in the clyde range. good luck though.

heythorp

msrp on this is 1800 but you could probably get an 06 for a lot less 1500 is totally possible. It may not be a stumpjumper but its speced out really good and is still a great bike, reba front fork the triad rear shock and xt components here and there. I know its only mechanical disks but they are disks and you could alwasy change in the future and the bike is built for them

06FSRXCPro_Sil_l.jpg

heythorp

rear shock is not an rps its just a float R, the specialized comes with a triad (propedel/ lock out/ full open)
and I think the Specialized (that i mentioned) is speced out a bit better.

Both companies have life time warrenties on their frames so that is a push.

Now if you wanted to buy the trance and send the shock to pushed, thats cool too, but that adds 150 to the cost of the bike.

the trance does have hayes hydrolics

But the trance Does NOT come with a REBA but neither does the specialized they both come with a Recon

pretty close bikes actully, i have steered many people toward the trance, even though I am a specialized guy, but I dont think i have ever seen YTC steer anyone toward a specialized and he is a trance family guy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

both are good bikes you would be well serviced with either bike

But to be fair, i did not just provide a link to the bike, I did go and insert the picture for you that has to count for something too. I think the specialized looks better personally. :)

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
As I look into the magic 8 ball (dating how old we are ;)) i see a SS full rigid in your future

it's going to be happening sooner rather than later i think. i may go without the shock for awhile just for that old skool, bone rattling fun. i'll run some BIG schwalbes (probably fat alberts) at some crazy low PSI to give me a little cushion. the more and more i ride LM, the more i realize that it is a single speed heaven.

ytc100

heythorp said:
rear shock is not an rps its just a float R,

But the trance Does NOT come with a REBA but neither does the specialized they both come with a Recon

My bad, you are correct.

The Trance will be a more fun bike though. It's a known fact. :D

pjrohr

Thanks all for your advice, sorry, was away for a week. Sounds like the conversion is out. What's the word on the Specialized Epic? I've seen those for around $1,800. Also, on frame size, I was close to buying a Rocky Mountain in 16.5"...is the Specialized equivalent in size small?

Top Bottom