Bought my first fat bike

http://www.reidbikes.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/ares-fat-bike/

I bought a Reid Ares. Basic, intro bike. Haven't set it up tubeless just yet. Still dialing in tire pressures, and getting some self steer. Enjoy the bike overall.

Bike currently has kenda Juggernaut tires.
2x10 deore shifters 28/40t front.
Tektro HDC 330 brakes
Wide bars, short stem

Nothing too fancy yet. I'm looking forward to some winter riding.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

I bought a Reid Ares. Basic, intro bike. Haven't set it up tubeless just yet. Still dialing in tire pressures, and getting some self steer. Enjoy the bike overall.

Tektro HDC 330 brakes
Wide bars, short stem

Cool! Let me know what you think if those tires when you get the pressure dialed in. Been waiting for the Pro version to come our for a friggen year already. :)

Cool! Let me know what you think if those tires when you get the pressure dialed in. Been waiting for the Pro version to come our for a friggen year already. :)
Far as i can tell these are the sport version. Tires have little to no markings. Reviews seem to indicate they self steer when inflated under 10 psi. I went down to 8. Tomorrow night i'm going out and i'll try 10ish. I don't have much to compare them to and my other ride is a camber 29er.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool. Many fatbike tires self-steer at lower pressures, so don't let that throw you. I think I saw one of these at the Tourne, looked legit. Have fun!

I plan to be out every sunday this winter. Need to find pants, or im going to tape up some old snowboard pants.

Any winter gear suggestions appreciated. Also looking for silly things like front mud guard/fender, need to replace my hardware as it's all cheap steal that will rust.

Any fat bike specific tools i should carry?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I plan to be out every sunday this winter. Need to find pants, or im going to tape up some old snowboard pants.

Any winter gear suggestions appreciated. Also looking for silly things like front mud guard/fender, need to replace my hardware as it's all cheap steal that will rust.

Tools, not really. Multi tool, Levers, Tuuuuuuuube (cuz it's BIG), patch kit, something to use to boot the tire if you cut it and a "high volume" pump.

I would seriously consider getting a frame bag. It's a lot easy to carry stuff in a frame bag. The bonus is you can stash extra gloves and stuff should the weather require more or less than you have on. 2c.

Have fun!

Dan-

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

image.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

i've used ski shells over thermal bike pants when it gets under 20 - esp if its a little windy. the ski version has elastic at the cuffs, where all my snowboard stuff needs to
be velcro'd down to avoid the chainring. the top has a bunch of pockets too. Shoe covers (i'm getting winter footwear this year damn it) help. last year i put my shoes
in the ski boot warmer (spouse's) and that made a big difference during that really cold stretch we had.

qclabrat

i've used ski shells over thermal bike pants when it gets under 20 - esp if its a little windy. the ski version has elastic at the cuffs, where all my snowboard stuff needs to
be velcro'd down to avoid the chainring. the top has a bunch of pockets too. Shoe covers (i'm getting winter footwear this year damn it) help. last year i put my shoes
in the ski boot warmer (spouse's) and that made a big difference during that really cold stretch we had.

^this
dress as if you're going skiing or boarding/riding
only things I bulk up on are gloves and face gear, I ears get really cold so always use neoprene helmet liners with ear flaps
don't have bike spec winter shoes so just put on warmest pair of goretex boots, not terribly comfortable but I only ride 3-4 times a month when environment is in tundra mode

qclabrat

Tektro HDC 330 brakes
Wide bars, short stem

congrats, first time I've heard of them, did you mail order?
the website doesn't indicate the rear and fork widths? can it handle a 5" tire

congrats, first time I've heard of them, did you mail order?
the website doesn't indicate the rear and fork widths? can it handle a 5" tire

Cosmic wheels in ridgefield park sells them. A friend works there and suggested the brand. I liked the frame design because i have a short inseam so i was looking for that style frame. When I looked at a other bikes they were either out of my price range or had cable brakes, or a 3x9 drive train. This was $1060 and i felt it was a good bang for the buck. I do not know the hub widths, i do not think the rear could fit a 5" tire. The front might be able to. I'm riding tonight so i'll try to get a measurement.

Last edited:

Mr.Moto

QUOTE]

Certain snowboard / ski pants might be a bit bulky especially the current looser fit styles. Also I find that I heat up very quickly on the bike, so I use something that is lighter and a bit more breathable. Someone on this site or on mtbr mentioned the pants below as a low cost alternative to the name brand insulated bike pants. They work well for me. I can add another light layer if its really cold. Read the comments regarding sizing and choose accordingly. Also, they are wind resistant and insulated, but not waterproof.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQDTTBW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Last edited:
Those pants have a weird size chart. Sized by weight, not waist. How do they fit? If i'm a large/36 in shorts, pants so on will the large that's 30# under my weight fit? Im 200# now with massive 28" thighs, waist is 34-36.

Last edited:
Top Bottom