Book of cross

This last episode was pretty amazing. the first two were a bit light. i dunno if cx'rs get the media thing the way JPow does. they're ALL interesting, but he understands the medium better. that crowd-funded doc about Tjohnson's 2010 (?) world champs ride was amazing in the same way. it's a story. i just wish in JPow's story he raced better in Europe. he needs to live there for a season. that was Proctor's criticism of Trebon in Behind the Stare - he wouldn't commit to racing a full season in Belgium. big fish syndrome.

I wonder how much those possible world cup wins matter professionally. He could put all his effort into winning on the world stage but in the US he'd be seen as pack fodder if that's where he ends up in US races due to changed priorities.

It looks better to win all through the year in the US, win Nationals and end up in the middle in Belgium.

This last episode was pretty amazing. the first two were a bit light. i dunno if cx'rs get the media thing the way JPow does. they're ALL interesting, but he understands the medium better. that crowd-funded doc about Tjohnson's 2010 (?) world champs ride was amazing in the same way. it's a story. i just wish in JPow's story he raced better in Europe. he needs to live there for a season. that was Proctor's criticism of Trebon in Behind the Stare - he wouldn't commit to racing a full season in Belgium. big fish syndrome.

It's a little crazy to think a man who is almost untouchable stateside is basically a nobody in the European scene. It really puts things into perspective about this sport on an international level.

With an exception to WC#5 the dude is just a mid-pack racer. He should commit to the big show and see if he can improve that.

The WC winner put near 4 minutes on the best US finisher - Stephen Hyde. That's about half a lap. We are little, little fish.

How much is it affected by those courses being different than ours and also timing in the year? I have no idea what their race calendar is like but I'd imagine Hyde and Powers are going into that race pretty worn out. I doubt either of them were taking it easy at Nationals and earlier to peak for Europe.

I'm not saying either of them would win, I'm just wondering how much that stuff factors in. Would the European guys come here and crush? Maybe they would laugh at our courses and destroy the field, maybe yet it's still a different game altogether for them.

I was at the WC in Louisville, KY. The front of the Men's race was a train of Belgians. Impressive! Sven won. I don't recall where the US men finished but they were all non-factors.

BTW, I'm totally on board with Emily Batty.

How much is it affected by those courses being different than ours and also timing in the year? I have no idea what their race calendar is like but I'd imagine Hyde and Powers are going into that race pretty worn out.

Our Nats are where they are in the calendar so we're in line with the other countries' Nats calendars. Meaning our racers shouldn't have to peak twice, which was posited as one of the things keeping Katie Compton off the top step. If you're a masters racer, this move was the worst thing that ever happened. In the world. Apparently. The travel to worlds is rougher on us than on someone who lives right down the street from Zolder, but everyone should be going into it firing on all cylinders. Powers, by his own reckoning, has never been better. And Hyde was great, equalling his earlier 23rd at Zolder and at Namur. But who's the only American man to get onto the podium at worlds? Jonathan Page in 2006. It wasn't a fluke. He was 10th the year before. What'd he have to do to get there? Live in Belgium. Which is tough when all of your sponsors are American companies and the exposure they want is in America. Powers raced enough, and did well enough in the WC for a front row start. Anyone remember any of those races? Crossvegas this year, Power 6th in a four-up sprint. Trebon 12th. Against WVA, VDH, Pauwels, 2x Vantournouts. It was real racing and we did well, but until someone like Hyde or Powers moves to Belgium, we're gonna have to get used to seeing a lot of light blue at the front.
Or just watch the women's races.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom