Blow'd up Nextie?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Found a flat on the beargrease. At first it looked like a loose valve which after I pulled the tire off had kinda sucked through the inner hole. Odd.

Further investigation found three broken spokes. Some of the other spokes have kinda a funky tilt to them, like the nipple is straight but the spoke is angled.

Planning on bringing to @jimvreeland to look at but sorta puzzled as to why so much is wrong. @alex_k are these not meant for hard riding maybe just snow? No implications intended, just asking if maybe I overworked them.

For full disclosure this is after a couple days of legit Wildcat riding. Anyway.
Thanks.

IMG_8697.JPGIMG_8698.JPGIMG_8699.JPGIMG_8700.JPGIMG_8701.JPG

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is why I can’t have nice things. And I’m keeping air pressures relatively high too.

SmooveP

What vintage are the rims? A few years ago, some of their fatbike rims were drilled incorrectly, resulting in the odd spoke angles you're seeing.

Mr.Moto

My Nexties are the early vintage and have the same angle issue. My buddy's is the same too. No problems though, but they are mainly snow and smooth trail duty.

alex_k

Yeah, the spokes were bent from the day one but I did not hesitate to ride them at Allamuchy. Check with Jim but I think they are tough if you just accidentally noticed 3 broken spokes ;)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Nexties have years of riding at Wildcat. You're doing it wrong.
I'm a little, ah, heftier than you.

Yeah, the spokes were bent from the day one but I did not hesitate to ride them at Allamuchy. Check with Jim but I think they are tough if you just accidentally noticed 3 broken spokes ;)

Considering I didn't notice anything until it went flat, you have a point there. :p

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ride them one last time at Mooch tomorrow to confirm if actually broken or just seeing crooked from beerz.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Nextie is in fact, not blown up. The spoke is. That's a very different thing. #fakenews

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
did i offer to ride the TB? :D
Great idea! Lets!

Ride them one last time at Mooch tomorrow to confirm if actually broken or just seeing crooked from beerz.
Makes funny plinky noises. No bueno.

The Nextie is in fact, not blown up. The spoke is. That's a very different thing. #fakenews
I was going all root cause. Didn’t occur to me it might have been breaking instead of just broke. Valve hole thing is weird tho, you’ll see.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For closure @jimvreeland relaced with all new spokes and nips. It is the funky angle run on the rim itself but Jim wasn't overly concerned. Looks more like wear and tear than anything weird.

Still not sure what caused the valve hole suck. Retaped with Stan's and doubled up over the valve hole, seems to be mint now. Bought the super bling Mucky valves since they have a larger base adaptor but didn't need it.
Too bad it's monsoon season.
Thanks Jim!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
description is nice. picture would be better......:D

Kay.
Side note. I used Stan’s tape instead of my usual gorilla because cleaner to remove. Stan’s specifically says to start opposite the valve hole. I’ve always doubled up over the valve hole and most others do likewise. Wonder why Stan’s differs.
IMG_8748.JPG
IMG_8749.JPG

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you notice, the use of a rounder brass nipple and Linseed Oil allowed the spoke to settle at a much straighter angle. Things you learn after 10,000 wheel builds :)

Durable AND nutritious! :p

Seriously, although I do much of my own work this is something I definitely wanted a pro to do right. Much confidence now.

Top Bottom