Blazin' trails

bill-now

Doomed
Props to those responsible for blazing some of the previously unmarked trails at MD. a quick loop of the park North of Weldon road revealed newly blazed blue, blue/black, green, orange, red, purple,and blazed trails. My ride that hit these trails is here.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
They're very nice...though I'm not sure nailing little wood blazes to trees is better for them than just painting blazes :confused:

'Just did a loop up there...first time in over a month (travel for work and a nasty cold). It hurt.

It is damp but mostly fast and firm...

crash

Where are bikes explicitly prohibited in MD?

The way I read the map, it is only prohibited on the Highlands Trail (Teal Trail) from Saffin Pond parking lot to the Headley Overlook. From the Weldon Road crossing just north of the lookout to Sparta Mountain Road it seems the Teal Trail shares the White Trail and the White trail is a well ridden pathway given all the nice single track off on various side trails.

The aforementioned section of the Highlands Trail is pretty rough anyway, especially those two creek crossings, as it is in other parks along its way to the NY line like in Newark Watershed, Norvin Green, and Long Pond Ironworks. But for the hardy, that would be quite a challenging cross state adventure.

bill-now

Doomed
Where are bikes explicitly prohibited in MD?

I have no official knowledge but I suspect that your interpretation of prohibited trains is correct. The Teal/White is definitely legal, the Headley outlook is off-limits as are the sections of the Highlands trail that are not co-blazed with another color.

I'm not sure about the White (Beaver Brook) trail which is South of Weldon Rd. I seem to recall a no bike sign where it intersects the Red trail, although I do know that people do ride it on occasion.

Bill

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions