Blackwells closing in mid July

Scared me - thought they were gonna close the blackwells mills bridge from millstone river rd to canal road. It's already a mess with weston canal bridge under repair.

and they are going to close the bridge at 514 soon too. i spoke to a local fire chief, he said its cracked in spots. so we're going to be out weston, the millstone bridge, and blackwell now too. this is gonna be fun!

looks like i wont be driving to work when that bridge is out, long live canal commuters!

and they are going to close the bridge at 514 soon too. i spoke to a local fire chief, he said its cracked in spots. so we're going to be out weston, the millstone bridge, and blackwell now too. this is gonna be fun!

Seriously? That's the only bridge that stays above water in moderate flooding. Gonna need a helicopter to get to work.

Looks like we'll have some company crossing the bridge there. Hopefully construction will not disturb the trail much.

The Amwell Rd bridge has had a history of problems. A few years ago, a portion of the deck failed and an emergency patch was constructed. I believe construction at Weston Canal is slated to be completed sometime in July, but that may have changed.

Looks like we'll have some company crossing the bridge there. Hopefully construction will not disturb the trail much.

The Amwell Rd bridge has had a history of problems. A few years ago, a portion of the deck failed and an emergency patch was constructed. I believe construction at Weston Canal is slated to be completed sometime in July, but that may have changed.

i heard july but i also heard it may stretch into october? i figure they'll close one when they open the other, but you can't always count on common sense.

i heard july but i also heard it may stretch into october? i figure they'll close one when they open the other, but you can't always count on common sense.

There's too much traffic in the area and 2 bridges open and one closed doesn't cut it - especially crossing east to west in the afternoon rush hour. There will be cars lined up from Millstone all the way down canal road to blackwells

From the link:

"The anticipated start date for this project is mid-July. The road will not be closed until the current Weston Causeway Canal Bridge project has been completed and roadway reopened"

Whew... I too initially thought it was the causeway and nearly had a heart attack. Afternoon traffic on 514 is a mess with the Weston bridge closed. Even leaving the office at 7pm, traffic can be backed up all the way to Elizabeth Ave and beyond. Fortunately for me, when I get to River Rd I turn south.

Last edited:
Update! The detour signs have been installed (still covered) and there is a digital sign stating the road is scheduled to close "on or about" 8/5.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions