BIYF Winter 2015 discussion thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ok -

the issue is, and has been, the long ride vs the fast ride vs the mtb ride.

so time * speed = miles
we like time, as it is an equalizer, we like miles, as it awards faster people, we like mtb rides, just cause.

did we like the 'weekly' battle for points? so it becomes its own race series?

the team thing was fun - not everyone enjoyed it, but a way to add bonus points. speaking of which, do we bring back the creative category - "i only want to ride with you" was worth honorable mention!

More in a few minutes.

Patrick

Staff member
What has been decided so far

Start Date: 1/1/2015 tentative
End Date: 3/29/2015 tentative

Minutia:

rick81721

Lothar
I'd say for the team thing to work they have to be bigger - maybe only 4 teams? Last year people got burned when a few on their team didn't ride.

Patrick

Staff member
wiiknkrutsnxn9iy2z3r.gif
Only counts during business hours

I Ride Bikes

I would love to do this this year but I don't think the team thing works. Busting your ass all week only to take a loss because no one on your team rides sucks. This is why I never liked team sports.

Patrick

Staff member
I would love to do this this year but I don't think the team thing works. Busting your ass all week only to take a loss because no one on your team rides sucks. This is why I never liked team sports.

my thought was a bonus point for being on the winning team ???
teams could be random or seeded (ie top 3 of week, are matched with bottom for following week)
2 teams?

Last edited:

olegbabich

No teams. No double days. Points given for time spent on the bike with extra points given after 25 miles on mountain bike and 40 miles on a road.

Mountain bike combo (road and dirt) is OK if it is close to 50/50%.

These are just suggestions. :D

Thank you for trying to get my ass off the couch.:)

Last edited:

ekuhn

Im in. I think points need to be equal across the board (hour for hour). Since its all about the point of riding. Not where, when, how, etc. No trainer time - Outside only. Gotta put the time in to win or in my case, try to make the top ten.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Im in. I think points need to be equal across the board (hour for hour). Since its all about the point of riding. Not where, when, how, etc. No trainer time - Outside only. Gotta put the time in to win or in my case, try to make the top ten.

^ this.
though I guess it doesnt matter to me as I am not playing.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Great way to start the contest, with a thread to argue about the rules.
I was no fan of the team thing as it was not fair to be on teams where no one rode, although this year it would help me. I will only say that there should be something to reward consistency, so a strong points base for each time someone rides. This way someone can't ride outside one day a week and still win. That will also motivate people to ride more often, not just ride longer, which is the point to me. Giving heavy bonuses for length of ride just rewards people who simply have a lot of time on their hands.

Patrick

Staff member
quick summary for discussion (no arguing! save that for during the "race")

1. Moving time
--- discuss quality of ride bonus for distance/time (?)
2. Consistency should count -
--- days in a row or days per week, tiers?
3. no teams, no double points days

Anyone like the weekly points idea, and the winner would be the one who takes the series? so ride points are erased weekly (how ever we calc them) and the placing points or position are used to keep the overall score?

Bonus for group rides with pictures? ok, just saying....

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Make it simple. Points for hours ridden regardless of how those are hours are ridden. Do we really care if someone rides 10 hours in a week or 10 hours in a single day? It's all the same. People aren't doing multi-10 hour days. MTB vs. Road is irrelevant also, it's still all hours. Guys like Kevin would take a hit because he doesn't MTB. No bonuses for anything, no extra points for anything.

-Jim.

The Kalmyk

Im in this year... Not for speed though... I agree with Jim point on keeping it simple... Time is all that should count

Robin

Make it simple. Points for hours ridden regardless of how those are hours are ridden. Do we really care if someone rides 10 hours in a week or 10 hours in a single day? It's all the same. People aren't doing multi-10 hour days. MTB vs. Road is irrelevant also, it's still all hours. Guys like Kevin would take a hit because he doesn't MTB. No bonuses for anything, no extra points for anything.

-Jim.

+1. If people are out riding, they're riding. That should be it.

Top Bottom