Biker Shot by Hunter. Be safe out there please

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So if one were to purchase a fishing license and carry around a minimal fishing kit, would they legally be allowed to ride bikes in a WMA year round?
That is exactly what I said on after we saw the Hunter. I said lets just get a licence and we are good to go.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To me, in our densely populated area in a park full of kids, hikers, dogs, it's crazy to allow hunting.
Monmouth County parks has had hunting for the past 10 yrs and has never had an injury to a trail user from hunter.
Hunting is not permitted on trails and is permitted in tree stands only. Only shot gun or muzzle loaders are allowed on specific dates at several parks, at which time the park is closed to non hunters until 12pm. When the park opens the gun hunting ends.
The county started the deer management program to control the deer population in the county. The rules and regulations are more strict then state and federal hunting laws.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
WMA, wildlife management areas, are managed specifically for hunting. i.e. wildlife management=hunting. Hunters have priority in WMA's

MMuller

Sorta wish they got this deer before it got my car.

oh deer.jpg

Fat Trout

Yeah lessor of evils, I guess. Just know that my 270 leaves a ghastly exit wound
NJ Deer firearms season is Shotgun only. The 1 oz rifled slugs are huge. Buckshot no fun either.

The main 6 day firearms season is Dec 4-9th. I'd avoid the woods then for sure.

Below is a link to the regulation sets for the other special seasons and various zones for anyone interested. First link is the main regulation set. The zone map is the second link. Find your county. Find the zones you ride in. Match it to the regulation set and you'll know whats going on and when.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017/regsets17-18.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/deermaps/counties_dmu.htm

CrankAddictRich

When I was in 6Mile two fridays back, there was a dude walking around in full camo get-up with a bow... he scared the shit out of me as I was coming around a bend in the trail.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I had this idea purely for the fishing but that's a nice side benefit

I've been doing this for years in NJ and NY. I rigged my fishpond backpack to carry 2 fully rigged 9ft fly rods. I ride one of my old FS bikes and stash it when I fish. Bring the Niterider to fish till dark then cruise back to the car. I cover a lot of water this way. Since I don't have a drift boat yet, this is the second best way to cover water.

02camaro

my hunting buddy sends me pictures all the time from 6 mile run of people riding. he bow hunts, in a tree stand.

RSAmerica

1st off I have no problem with hunting. Here's the problem for non-hunting trail users like us:

Every year I try and figure out what woods we ride (town, county, state, fed & someone's back yard) have hunting (bow, crossbow, shot gun, reg gun, musket & machine gun). I look at those stupid tables (that make sense to hunters) with area numbers, type of game (small game, medium game, large game & no elephants tho), type of weapon, dates and times. My head spins.

They should be required to make a very simple chart for other trail users (non-hunters) like us. When there is hunting and we can get our ass shot off by any weapon.

BTW, any of my friends that hunt only hunt on private land. They tell me they won't hunt with those morons. Makes me feel real safe out there!

liong71er

What kind of Hunters can't distinguished between humans and animals?? The answer to that is up to you...
I'm a hunter too (if I wanted too)
An Excellent Hunter not only able to distinguished that but also have a patience skill.
I carry whistle and wear orange POC helmet during hunting season getting shot by a (intoxicated) Hunters is equally get hit by drunk or distracted drivers.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
1st off I have no problem with hunting. Here's the problem for non-hunting trail users like us:

Every year I try and figure out what woods we ride (town, county, state, fed & someone's back yard) have hunting (bow, crossbow, shot gun, reg gun, musket & machine gun). I look at those stupid tables (that make sense to hunters) with area numbers, type of game (small game, medium game, large game & no elephants tho), type of weapon, dates and times. My head spins.

They should be required to make a very simple chart for other trail users (non-hunters) like us. When there is hunting and we can get our ass shot off by any weapon.

BTW, any of my friends that hunt only hunt on private land. They tell me they won't hunt with those morons. Makes me feel real safe out there!

There is so much bullshit in this thread. Exactly how many hikers and bikers have been killed in NJ by a hunter? Most accidents have happened on private property actually, with 2 hunters either shooting each other, or self inflicted by walking through the woods with the safety off. Bow, shotgun, and muzzle loader hunters are range-limited. Very very few are out there making epic 200-300 yard shots at a moving target. Most kills happen within 50 yards, and most guys are using optics that clearly define the target. Your more likely to kill your self on a road ride or driving to your ride.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

Irrelevant example. NYS is a completely different story, not to mention Western New York (those of you who've fished the Salmon River know what I'm talking about). Can't hunt with a handgun in NJ, or a rifle, unless your hunting coyotes, so keep your dogs on a leash. And again, how many times has this recently happened in NJ? Use common sense when you ride, but don't be paranoid.

And how did this guy think he was going to see 200 yards almost an hour after sunset?

Karate Monkey

Irrelevant example. NYS is a completely different story, not to mention Western New York (those of you who've fished the Salmon River know what I'm talking about). Can't hunt with a handgun in NJ, or a rifle, unless your hunting coyotes, so keep your dogs on a leash. And again, how many times has this recently happened in NJ? Use common sense when you ride, but don't be paranoid.

And how did this guy think he was going to see 200 yards almost an hour after sunset?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the problem isn't that someone got shot, but that they are being assigned even partial blame for it.

It smacks of the same, "I didn't see them" defense that drivers give *all the time* for hitting anything/anyone, so much so that it's become 'normal'.

"Oops" is not an excuse.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the problem isn't that someone got shot, but that they are being assigned even partial blame for it.

It smacks of the same, "I didn't see them" defense that drivers give *all the time* for hitting anything/anyone, so much so that it's become 'normal'.

"Oops" is not an excuse.
You are 100% correct. No blame is to be put on the victim. I actually grew up in the midwest and grew up with guns. Anyone who has spent any time around guns knows the basic rules...treat every gun as if it is loaded. Know the target and what is beyond. Never point a gun towards anything you don't want to destroy.

The next thing I have to say is not meant to be a defense for hunters at all....actually quite the contrary. Some of these guys get so damned fanatical about killing a deer. The whole "if it's brown, it's down" mentality is too common I fear. I think that some of these guys hear a stick break or some leaves rustle and they start blasting. It's scary.

The hunter in this story should go to jail. He was hunting illegally on multiple accounts. It was 4o minutes past sunset and he was on private property without the permission of the owner. He's clearly a total douche bag.

For the record, I don't hunt. This kind of thing really bothers me as a supporter of the 2nd Amendment, though. It's just more potential fuel to further restrict gun rights (not that that is really possible in NJ).

Top Bottom