Bike trailers for a baby

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Firstly, let it be known that it is very dangerous to ride without a helmet. Make sure that your baby, and you, are wearing helmets when you ride.
It is only safe to put your baby in a bike trailer when they are over a year old. Any time before is insanely dangerous for your baby. Seat your child firmly, strap them in securely, and close up the compartment.
Usually, the one year rule is a law. This applies in the state of New York, among others. The reasoning behind this is very simple.

http://www.icebike.org/baby-bike-trailer/

ilnadi

I waited till their necks could hold up a helmet (9-10mo). I got more use out of it when they were older, they enjoy it more. I rode them to playgrounds, etc and my daughter to/from school up to 1st grade. then they got too heavy to go up even the small hills around Clinton. I splurged for Burley with rain cover. Rode it on gravel, fire roads, in the pouring rain (they were dry as bones and extremely entertained!). so far two families have used it and it looks fine.

YouRang87

Question, do they still make those road bike style ones where it’s up in the air above the rear wheel like a car seat. My pops used to take me around in one back in the day and this thread made me wonder in today’s uber safe world if they are still used or are they now considered as bad as lawn darts.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Question, do they still make those road bike style ones where it’s up in the air above the rear wheel like a car seat. My pops used to take me around in one back in the day and this thread made me wonder in today’s uber safe world if they are still used or are they now considered as bad as lawn darts.

I think they do. But the go-to is one of these which seems to actually be more fun for the kids and safer.

daddy-river-ride-2.jpeg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I think the O's had one of these, would love to hear a review if its worth it from someone I trust

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the O's had one of these, would love to hear a review if its worth it from someone I trust

I thought that picture was EO when I saw the socks with sandals.

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am certain that EO has rocked Socks and Sandals look in the past.
However, he claims that he has never, ever, owned a pair of cargo shorts.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think they do. But the go-to is one of these which seems to actually be more fun for the kids and safer.

View attachment 66658
I don't see how these are safe, what happens if you endo. Kids face or neck is dead either from the rider crushing the kid or the kid hitting the pavement/curb. Yeah, I know that shouldn't happen, but people do dumb shit / dont know how to ride. My neighbor used to have one and the kid didnt have a helmet on.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am certain that EO has rocked Socks and Sandals look in the past.
However, he claims that he has never, ever, owned a pair of cargo shorts.

double ouch. It hurts cuz it's true...but it was high school in the early 1990's...in the Pacific Northwest. I'm pretty sure even Kurt Cobain was wearing sandals with socks back then.

WOOD BUY FROM YOU.....just sayin

This one's staying with us until Rocky III is riding on her own.

Do you think that everything we own is for sale?
We may need it for Thing 3 - holding on to it for now.

He's probably right. Everything IS for sale. @Zaskar owns that bike now.

Anyway, yes, the iBert seat was great. I would hesitate to mount it on a fork with a carbon steerer tube and it's not compatible with all bikes but it is way less sketchy than it looks. The nice thing about it is that the kid is right in front of you so you can have a conversation and see the enjoyment on their face. The only real safety issue is that it exacerbates the wheel flop issue when you are stopped.

I don't see how these are safe, what happens if you endo. Kids face or neck is dead either from the rider crushing the kid or the kid hitting the pavement/curb. Yeah, I know that shouldn't happen, but people do dumb shit / dont know how to ride. My neighbor used to have one and the kid didnt have a helmet on.

If you endo with a kid on a rear rack seat they get launched even worse #becauseleverage.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
double ouch. It hurts cuz it's true...but it was high school in the early 1990's...in the Pacific Northwest. I'm pretty sure even Kurt Cobain was wearing sandals with socks back then.

This one's staying with us until Rocky III is riding on her own.

He's probably right. Everything IS for sale. @Zaskar owns that bike now.

Anyway, yes, the iBert seat was great. I would hesitate to mount it on a fork with a carbon steerer tube and it's not compatible with all bikes but it is way less sketchy than it looks. The nice thing about it is that the kid is right in front of you so you can have a conversation and see the enjoyment on their face. The only real safety issue is that it exacerbates the wheel flop issue when you are stopped.

If you endo with a kid on a rear rack seat they get launched even worse #becauseleverage.
Ok, so I guess the answer is trailer

Top Bottom