Bike trailers for a baby

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
When is it okay and when did you start using one? My little girl (young dee) is coming up on 4 months...She can hold her head up just fine and basically falls asleep when ever she is on the move. On Thule's Web site they have trailers listed 0-6, 6-12 and so on.

I want to strap one on to my fat bike and cruise Brookdale park during the week...my fatherly instinct says 'go for it' but I'm just not sure I should listen

Blair

My opinion is leave the kid with the wife. You have to be super careful of the bumps because infants are not supposed to go on boats, etc. due to straining of neck. You can probably google child development stuff for advice on what is safe to do when.

Supermoto

I don't think there are any in the 0-6. It didn't list any when you click on it. I think the child needs to be about to hold their head up with a helmet on. My little guy is 8 months. Hopefully he will be ready soon.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I don't think there are any in the 0-6. It didn't list any when you click on it. I think the child needs to be about to hold their head up with a helmet on. My little guy is 8 months. Hopefully he will be ready soon.
yeah it seemed like all the same ones came up no matter what age I clicked on but i was looking in my phone. That's why I figured I'd ask

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
My opinion is leave the kid with the wife. You have to be super careful of the bumps because infants are not supposed to go on boats, etc. due to straining of neck. You can probably google child development stuff for advice on what is safe to do when.
I wish that was an option.

I work 3-11 so I have the baby all morning. My 2 option are 1... wake up at like 5:45 and go do an hour before my wife wakes up but I don't get home until 12am so that can be taxing or 2.. take baby to day care early just so I can ride but I want to spend time with hernit just dump her at Daycare. My thinking was that a 5mph fat bike ride thru a park with paved paths was ok.... but I'll have to ask the doctor next month at her visit

I think I just have to face the fact that I am now a weekend warrior

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dusty, this is what I did with Robert. I really only took him on the road, and maybe once or twice on gravel. No bouncing around. But I took the car seat base and hooked it to the trailer frame with carabiners, the just clipped his regular car seat pod into it.

esYlMj9.jpg

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Do not waste your money on a new one, buy one off of Craigslist or fleabay. Don't spend a ton of money on something you'll use for all of about 1.5 years. Baby stuff is enough of a rip as it is.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Do not waste your money on a new one, buy one off of Craigslist or fleabay. Don't spend a ton of money on something you'll use for all of about 1.5 years. Baby stuff is enough of a rip as it is.
Thanks for the advice... we already have a TON of baby crap going to a garage sale. I can get on thru the shop I work for.

walter

Fourth Party
I'd wait til she's a little older, broski. And I agree with the above, buy used. I'm sure you can find one here.

domo

Great info.
I was thinking the same thing as we go on our yearly July 4th camping to assateague and was wondering how to take her if possible. Christmas baby will be 6 months by then.
I guess she needs to wait till next year

TonyC

I wish that was an option.

I work 3-11 so I have the baby all morning. My 2 option are 1... wake up at like 5:45 and go do an hour before my wife wakes up but I don't get home until 12am so that can be taxing or 2.. take baby to day care early just so I can ride but I want to spend time with hernit just dump her at Daycare. My thinking was that a 5mph fat bike ride thru a park with paved paths was ok.... but I'll have to ask the doctor next month at her visit

Dustin,
Hit me up when you're ready I've got one ready to be used again. Also have baby seat that goes between you and handlebars. I should have all the parts.
Peace,
Tony

THATmanMANNY

Do toddler's HAVE to wear helmet in one of these?

I mean I would put one on my daughter but if she finds it uncomfortable then I dunno.

I just picked up a Burley from Craigs past weekend :banana:

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do toddler's HAVE to wear helmet in one of these?
YES!!!! Is there anything more important in life than your kid's brain?!

@Dusty the Whale I wouldn't put the kid in a trailer until after 6 months, at least. Too many bumps, hard on the neck. You'll know when she's ready.
Yes, this is the sad reality. I blame the persistent baby-weight on this. And Cheddar Bunnies.
Is running an option? Brookdale park is good for that, you can take her out in a BOB now.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I used the chariot CX 1:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/prod...isport-trailers/thule-chariot-cx-1-_-10101221

And then soon after and still, the Wee-Hoo I-go:
http://rideweehoo.com/products/igo-venture-2/

My Daughter hater the enclosed trailer almost right away. I mostly ended up covering he with mud as I pulled her on the canal.

The wee-hoo is actually really fun and now that she is 3, she can pedal it.

As an added bonus I have a e-bike that makes it super fun to pull her around. I still get a workout, but I can go 20mph and actually ride with other people.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I think 4 months is still too young. Yeah, she can hold her head up but with the weight of a helmet and going over all the bumps on the road is going to strain her still quite delicate neck. The very first time I strapped my son into a bike trailer he was about 10 months old and I had one with suspension to smooth out some of the bumps. I got a 2-kid trailer and strapped him in the middle with room on the sides for his stuffed animals and a drink bottle and he was happy as a clam. He even fell asleep on some of the longer rides.

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 135
Top Bottom