Bike trade ins

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Cash talks, if you think you can sell it on your own for more money you can, but if you need it gone (like trading in for a new car), you have to take the fact that you dont have to post it on craigslist, have to meet up with some shady dude, who may or may not show up. That's worth something

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
ride it 'til it breaks and you won't have this problem!

i would put a used nice bike up for consignment vs just take crap cash for it. let the shop sell and split it 70/30 or something. wood probably end up with the same return though...

rick81721

Lothar
Cash talks, if you think you can sell it on your own for more money you can, but if you need it gone (like trading in for a new car), you have to take the fact that you dont have to post it on craigslist, have to meet up with some shady dude, who may or may not show up. That's worth something

Hahahaha!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yeah @extremedave - auto-dibs on for you too. I can't wait to get a carbon beargrease!!! :D
---

so time is money right? In most cases, you could break a bike up and make more by selling parts.
You could also make more by putting them out for the world to purchase, but that adds complications and time.
Everyone has their own time-value. This is a good thing. With a little slack in your schedule, you can make
some extra coin. If you have a packed schedule, just having a way to make things happen is enough.
That is what the trade-in offer is betting on. One of my friends donates stuff that is perfectly sellable. He isn't interested in
dealing with the weirdos, having them pick-up, or coordinating a meet-up (which always seems to be a mess)
just make it a tax write-off.
-
there is a new service i've noticed that does auction downsizing. they come in and auction your crap for you.
i'd imagine they take a hefty percentage, but hell. stuff was just sitting there anyways.

Ian F

Yep - definitely a cost-benefit thing. I have literally piles of stuff I'd love to sell... theoretically thousands of dollars worth. Then I think about the aggravation of listing, PayPal, shipping, etc... so I get discouraged and the crap just sits.

qclabrat

Yep - definitely a cost-benefit thing. I have literally piles of stuff I'd love to sell... theoretically thousands of dollars worth. Then I think about the aggravation of listing, PayPal, shipping, etc... so I get discouraged and the crap just sits.

we should all get together and do a MTBNJ swap meet with 20% of sales going to NICA
I thought about doing the SLB table, but like you too lazy to drive down

goldsbar

Here's an example. I had a former (2007?) $3k F/S 26er on sale on this site for a few hundred. I know, 26ers are dead, but the bike was a fine value for that price. Never got one bite and I didn't relish the thought of using CL - mixed luck with that. The parts though...not only would it be a total pain, but one of the avid brakes had a sticky caliber, dual crown fork was basically integrated into the bike, wheels were stock run of the mill. No way was I going to spend my time packing and selling everything online. Wound up giving the bike to a friend of my wife who gave us some kids furniture in the past.

Top Bottom