Bike trade ins

walter

Fourth Party
Lately, ive seen a bunch of shops now offering trade ins towards new bikes, I think its a partnership with bicycle blue book. Anyone have any insight on the push?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Lately, ive seen a bunch of shops now offering trade ins towards new bikes, I think its a partnership with bicycle blue book. Anyone have any insight on the push?

We are doing it. The amount they offer isn’t much, but if you aren’t CL or eBay savvy it’s a win.

Let’s just say that the estimates I’ve run this far have been laughed at.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It should reduce sales tax too.
It will always be low, and it is meant for people willing to pay for convenience.

walter

Fourth Party
We are doing it. The amount they offer isn’t much, but if you aren’t CL or eBay savvy it’s a win.

Let’s just say that the estimates I’ve run this far have been laughed at.

I totally get that, but why the sudden push? And what happens to the trade in bikes, are you guys (the shops) now responsible to sell them on your own?

Dingo

Geez, none of my bikes show, other than new retail price. Even the 2001 Titus. Pretty much useless info.

qclabrat

I think overall it's just good business. The more new bikes sold, improves the relationship with the distributors and perks as well I assume. The primary hassle which the bike shop incurs is to resell the bike. There's probably no profit in the trade-in and maybe even a small loss, but you gain customers.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
This may be the only way to sell an aluminum scalpel. I’d probably get tree fiddy for it

jdog

Shop Keep
I just checked on a 2013 Cannondale synapse. It was purchased in 2013 for $2599

They offered $350.

The guy wasn’t amused as he barely rode the bike.

Dingo

Oh.. so now bike dealers can be called "stealerships" Just like a car dealer, they take your wooped out trade, fix all the wrong, include a warranty Sell it for profit.
Should be interesting.

jdog

Shop Keep
Oh.. so now bike dealers can be called "stealerships" Just like a car dealer, they take your wooped out trade, fix all the wrong, include a warranty Sell it for profit.
Should be interesting.

Not quite. The bike blue book people make an offer which is applied to the sale of a new bike. You can accept it or not. They then sell it on Craig’s list or eBay from what I can tell.

I don’t see them having much success honestly.

Dingo

Not quite. The bike blue book people make an offer which is applied to the sale of a new bike. You can accept it or not. They then sell it on Craig’s list or eBay from what I can tell.

Ah, that's how it works in a car dealer. folks can accept the dealer offer or choose what ever other means to deal with the hoopty.

qclabrat

So you send it to them then they sell and send to someone else? Shipping and their overhead is what's driving their low offers. I did notice them on eBay and their prices are decent, but I always thought they just acted like a listing agent and would have the bike shops ship from their locations.

I agree, don't see that as a successful business model. Their offers seem to be about 50% of retail, which is much less than what you see for car trade ins.

Ian F

A business model that plays to consumer laziness is rarely a risky bet. Selling stuff online these days is a PITA. Say you have a bike that might be worth $700 and they offer $350 for it. You have to decide how much time and aggravation that $350 extra you might get is worth to you.

jdog

Shop Keep
A business model that plays to consumer laziness is rarely a risky bet. Selling stuff online these days is a PITA. Say you have a bike that might be worth $700 and they offer $350 for it. You have to decide how much time and aggravation that $350 extra you might get is worth to you.

The problem is that the bike worth $750 cost the person $2500 5 years ago and the offer of $350 for a bike they paid $2500 for feels painful.

Ian F

Oh absolutely - it's why I'm still sitting on my 1997 Independent. $1300 frame back in 1997. $500 1999 Super Fly fork. Full XTR 8 speed drivetrain. Custom built Chris King hubs and Bontrager ceramic rim wheels. I probably have close to $4000 into building it. Twenty years ago. I don't want to even think about the inflation-adjusted cost today. I rode it a lot, but it was never abused in the same way my full-squish bikes are, so it's still in good condition. I'd be lucky to get $700 for it today.

But remind them of that $3000 flat-screen, HD television they bought 10 years ago - and now have to pay someone to take away. It's just the way of technology.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Don't they also value upgrades?
I think the last time I checked on my 2015 Talon, it come out to something like $250... but then when I added all the upgrades, the value went up some.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Both Guy's and Knapps seem to be big on the trade in thing. I know Guy's just sells it on ebay. I know a few people who have done this at Guy's but they are long term customers there so I think it is basically just a courtesy thing of "ill sell it for you". They were also bikes with good specs so there is limited risk in being able to unload it. I would have to imagine as you get closer to entry level, you would be getting next to nothing for it.

Karate Monkey

Both Guy's and Knapps seem to be big on the trade in thing. I know Guy's just sells it on ebay. I know a few people who have done this at Guy's but they are long term customers there so I think it is basically just a courtesy thing of "ill sell it for you". They were also bikes with good specs so there is limited risk in being able to unload it. I would have to imagine as you get closer to entry level, you would be getting next to nothing for it.

In most cases, the shop is pretty much getting payed to box the bike, plus a bit more. People with valuable bikes tend to sell them themselves, and people with cheap ones, well, there's no business in dealing with them, since the bikes are worth so little that packing them COSTS the shop money.

Top Bottom