Bike touring

Riggedfmx

Hi all!

I'm planning a long bike tour next summer! I have my rig picked out and now I'm looking to decorate it with packs that I'll need. I have a saddle bag. I'm going to put a small rack on the front. I'm stuck on whether to get a half or full frame bag. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on the brand or full/half?

Thanks!

Riggedfmx

I ordered a salsa vaya. I'll get some pics when it arrives. More on road with some gravel. If I'm going to be on the road for a month do I need a full frame pack or can I get away with a half.

RobW

I ordered a salsa vaya. I'll get some pics when it arrives. More on road with some gravel. If I'm going to be on the road for a month do I need a full frame pack or can I get away with a half.
Going full hipster or half? ;) I would say full frame. If you're going to use that real estate you may as well get the most out of it.

Karate Monkey

Some thoughts:

First, settle on a packing list. Go through it a few times, deciding what you need/can't live without.

Unless you have a huge frame, you'll lose most of the access to water bottles/frame pump etc by going with a tangle bag. If you aren't going to have those on the bike anyway, go with the full frame--it's nice to have the compartmentalized bag. Heavy crap at the bottom, and all that.

Revelate makes a good bag, but they are expensive; you get what you pay for. Consider a Surly/Salsa branded bag that is intended to fit your bike/one very similar to it.

Riggedfmx

Thanks for the feed back and tips guys! I was looking into the apidura full frame bag. Anyone Experience this brand? @pooriggy i am racing cat 1 until july when I start my trip south. So I'll be thrown into mix with you guys :p

Top Bottom