Bike shop gets scammed....

fidodie

Staff member
I know nothing about credit cards. Is it easier to do a chargeback with Amex than Visa/MC?
amex tends to favor the business more. visa/mc favor the customer.
If it was a card swipe at the shop, there would have to be a claim that the card was stolen, or used by an unauthorized person
(like a kid uses the parents card)

there is more to this story than the shop side. it stinks of fraud, most likely by the shop owner.

roc

If it was a card swipe at the shop, there would have to be a claim that the card was stolen, or used by an unauthorized person

there is more to this story than the shop side. it stinks of fraud, most likely by the shop owner.
I kind of felt the same way, I also was thinking that 3k shouldn’t really be putting somebody out of business. If it is, then that business is doomed anyway.

fidodie

Staff member
I use to work retail loss prevention 3k sticker wasn't worth our time. Isn't there some mark-up?
so yes, a $3,000 chargeback is not a $3,000 loss. cost of product, and charge-back fees. $20? time is sunk cost..

on the flip-side, any loss is all profit - cause that is where the number has its affect.

RSAmerica

I always felt the other way around that Amex was on the consumers side.

fidodie

Staff member
I always felt the other way around that Amex was on the consumers side.
when i was taking amex, i rarely had a chargeback, and most of the time i could substantiate, and get the $$.
visa was a pain - as a consumer, i don't think i ever had fraud on my amex (which i don't have anymore) so that is a good thing. maybe a bit of both.