Bike shop boycott NRA?

Supermoto

I forgot all about NICS. So even after the battery of checks, they run a NICS check on you at time of purchase. And if you try to buy a handgun within 31 days of your last one, say you did the math wrong and it’s day 30, you will be getting a visit from the state police. NJ does not need any more gun laws, but I’m sure Governor Dracula will put more through to appease his party.

Yep, but when the State breaks the law and does not issue a permit within 30 days, nothing happens.

No new laws until the current ones are enforced and followed by the Government.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Yes this. Treat gun ownership like automobile ownership. It's not a right but a privilege. License, registration, insurance, inspection,retest and pass all the costs associated onto the end user. This will not 100% eliminate guns getting into the wrong hands but it will reduce the number of wrongful shootings.

Of course the NRA will refute this because it would greatly cut down on the need for the $NRA$.

The problem is that the privilege of driving is not guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America. The 2nd Amendment is, in fact, a Right guaranteed by the Constitution. There is a reason it is the 2nd Amendment behind only the Right to free speech. The Heller decision in the US Supreme Court ruled the 2nd Amendment to be an individual Right to bear arms. I am not blindly defending this. Our country was founded on the idea that freedom was of supreme importance.

The background checks are already in place. The laws to determine who is fit to purchase, own, and (in 48 states) carry guns are already there. The "government" needs to abide by the processes already in place. Contrary to what CNN would have you believe, it is quite difficult and time consuming to purchase a firearm.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
There is a culture problem here. This didn't happen 25 years ago. What's different? Is it the abundance of life-like violent video games? Is it the fact that it is now common for households to have 2 working parents? Are kids not getting the attention and nurturing they need? Is it the abundance of horrifying images all over social media, traditional media, TV, YouTube, "the news," etc? I really don't know.

I think we need to be good role models for our kids. We need to be a part of their lives. We need to make sure they are learning good values. We need to make sure they are getting help if they need it.

We have to stop blaming guns as if humans are immediately and uncontrollably compelled to kill when one is nearby. Or knives. Or bombs. Or cars. No one blames the car when a drunk driver kills someone. We didn't ban trucks after terrorists used them to mow down innocent people. We need to stop being so politically correct all the time. We are so afraid to offend people it is literally killing us. We need to take some responsibility for our own lives instead of walking around with our heads up our asses all the time waiting for "the government" to protect us.

walter

Fourth Party
There is a culture problem here. This didn't happen 25 years ago. What's different? Is it the abundance of life-like violent video games? Is it the fact that it is now common for households to have 2 working parents? Are kids not getting the attention and nurturing they need? Is it the abundance of horrifying images all over social media, traditional media, TV, YouTube, "the news," etc? I really don't know.

I think we need to be good role models for our kids. We need to be a part of their lives. We need to make sure they are learning good values. We need to make sure they are getting help if they need it..

I believe its something within the modern American culture, or lack of. Video games, movies, images, news, the web, are all released world wide. Yet, as far as I know, this issue only seems to be a problem here in the states.

SCOTTscale

The NRA response to companies severing ties with them is shameful also. Instead of being open to the idea of dialogue they say this:

The NRA continued by saying that corporations who "decided to punish NRA membership is a shameful display of political and civic cowardice."

"Let it be absolutely clear. The loss of a discount will neither scare nor distract one single NRA member from our mission to stand and defend the individual freedoms that have always made America the greatest nation in the world."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...elta-latest-big-names-cut-ties-nra/369950002/

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, the laws we have in place are not working...i think we can agree on that. It's time for a revamp, Windows 95 just don't work anymore.

mustclime

Some guy in Massachusetts just killed a man with a knife. Anyone with knives should be ashamed. Knives kill people. Boycott all knife companies. There were drunk driving deaths. Ban cars. Boycott car companies. Cars kill people. Stay away from anyone who has access to and uses a car.
Really? That’s your reply? How many kids would this kid have killed if he just took a knife into the school? We are the only country that these school shootings happen and the only reason for this is the agenda the NRA is pushing. Assault rifles are designed to kill people as efficiently as possible..... end of story. Look, your average American can not go out is not go out and buy a M1A2 50 caliber machine gun, they were designed to shoot down aircraft . They have no place in a civilized country. Assault rifles are the same thing, they have no place in civilized country’s...... as for the car comment..... remember those car attacks, in the U.K.? Those killers used cars because they could not get guns. Gun control works.... read up on Australia, they have not had a mass shooting sense they took gun control to hart. Guns are the hobby that kills kids. The NRA is the organization the prompts laws that kill Americans.

mustclime

The second amendment has nothing to do about hunting, and muskets were the assault rifle of the day. And this killer was a serial killer. He was a sociopath, tortured animals, just like Dhamer, Gasey, etc. Only difference was he killed his victims all at once vs. over the course of weeks/months. This guy was gonna kill people gun or not.
Yup, force him to use a less efficient tool for killing people. Assault rifles are designed to kill people as efficiently as possible. That’s why the army uses them. They need to be removed from the public ASAP.

Fire Lord Jim

I suspect a big part of the problem is that we are too lazy to do it ourselves, and so we outsource "give a shit" to the professionals, who, it turns out, can be even lazier and give even less shit. We want to believe they will act as we would, and in fact, they just did. As a part of civilization, I think we have outsourced too much when we should be demanding a bigger role than just marching with signs or pulling a voting lever once a year (if that).

I do think that as kids, we experienced disappointment, lost at games, lost at fights, and learned to deal with it. I also learned about what would be a proportionate response to a situation. I'm not sure that still exists. Zero tolerance teaches that there is no over the top response to the slightest incident. I don't think that teaching helps. Every slight does not require the maximum response. Schools would be much better teaching this than cotangents.

Finally, as kids we didn't have ~12% of us on psychotropic drugs bending our reality. Maybe we are better off with depressed and anxious but undrugged teens?

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Really? That’s your reply? How many kids would this kid have killed if he just took a knife into the school? We are the only country that these school shootings happen and the only reason for this is the agenda the NRA is pushing. Assault rifles are designed to kill people as efficiently as possible..... end of story. Look, your average American can not go out is not go out and buy a M1A2 50 caliber machine gun, they were designed to shoot down aircraft . They have no place in a civilized country. Assault rifles are the same thing, they have no place in civilized country’s...... as for the car comment..... remember those car attacks, in the U.K.? Those killers used cars because they could not get guns. Gun control works.... read up on Australia, they have not had a mass shooting sense they took gun control to hart. Guns are the hobby that kills kids. The NRA is the organization the prompts laws that kill Americans.

All guns are designed to kill efficiently, that’s kind of the point. Large magazine capacity is designed to keep you in the fight and from getting dead as long as possible. What exactly is the point of having a gun with limited capacity? Assault rifles belong in the hands of law abiding citizens, part of the broader checks and balances. And guess what, criminals will just get them illegally. Last I checked fully automatic Tec’s and Swedish K’s are still illegal, but still out there. My cousins partner in the NYPD got in the middle of 2 gang members duking it out with the K and a full auto AK (they don’t allow the import of AK’s here period). There are a whole lot of reasons these things don’t happen other places, and it’s got nothing to do with guns, but that’s a whole different conversation. You can try to emigrate to Australia if you want to feel safe (good luck with getting in).

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I think jim meant Rx drugs actually coming from a Dr

They have their place. I don't know much about them.

Mental illness is as terrible as any other disease like, cancer, AIDS, etc. Kids who are diagnosed will likely be on meds their entire lives, and also will never get a gun permit in NJ. My friends son is bipolar, and life is a challenge to say the least. On the other hand, I have friends who’s kids clearly need to be diagnosed and get help, but the parents are in complete denial. This isn’t fair to the kids, and is way more common than you would believe, too common. I don’t even know how you would address this with someone, but obviously something needs to change.

rick81721

Lothar
Yup, force him to use a less efficient tool for killing people. Assault rifles are designed to kill people as efficiently as possible. That’s why the army uses them. They need to be removed from the public ASAP.

Have you ever shot a gun? Ever even see one? Sheesh

InHobUx.png

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Have you ever shot a gun? Ever even see one? Sheesh

InHobUx.png

Bayonet lug, flash hider, and telescoping stock are illegal in NJ. Also, we have a 15rd mag restriction. Fact is it’s a cheap gun to own and shoot, with very little recoil, accurate which is why a lot of people have them. You can also use them to legally hunt coyotes in NJ, only 3 rounds allowed in the mag, and you need to take the 3-day firearms hunting course.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom