Bike Rack and License Plate Visibility

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Officer said if I were carrying a bike then he wouldn't have even thought about
This is something I still don't get. If there is a bike, its ok? But its still blocking the plate.
I think @Carson said with or without a bike, if it obstructs the plate, its illegal so why would they make a comment like that?

SSmtbr

This is something I still don't get. If there is a bike, its ok? But its still blocking the plate.
I think @Carson said with or without a bike, if it obstructs the plate, its illegal so why would they make a comment like that?

Right??? It shouldn't matter if it's in use or not, if the plate's blocked it's illegal. A bike rack that's flipped up while not in use is suspicious but a rack carrying a bike but blocking the plate is acceptable (at least in this case)? I'm also confused as it seems like from this thread that most who have gotten this citation is from something more serious like speeding and being written down, or using the obscured plate stop as a reason to look for something else. This was simply just a stop for my rack blocking my plate and nothing else...Oh well, $54 and moving on.

I may be looking at a hitch riser adapter to lift the rack up a bit to improve the visibility of the plate while keeping the rack out of view in my back glass of my hatchback. The plate still won't be 100% visible, but currently the inner tray of my Kuat Sherpa rack is wide enough to block the plate when it's stored unused, but if it's up 3-4" then only the 1" or so wide part of the rack would be blocking the plate. Then again, I may not even worry about it and save the $$.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Right??? It shouldn't matter if it's in use or not, if the plate's blocked it's illegal. A bike rack that's flipped up while not in use is suspicious but a rack carrying a bike but blocking the plate is acceptable (at least in this case)? I'm also confused as it seems like from this thread that most who have gotten this citation is from something more serious like speeding and being written down, or using the obscured plate stop as a reason to look for something else. This was simply just a stop for my rack blocking my plate and nothing else...Oh well, $54 and moving on.

I may be looking at a hitch riser adapter to lift the rack up a bit to improve the visibility of the plate while keeping the rack out of view in my back glass of my hatchback. The plate still won't be 100% visible, but currently the inner tray of my Kuat Sherpa rack is wide enough to block the plate when it's stored unused, but if it's up 3-4" then only the 1" or so wide part of the rack would be blocking the plate. Then again, I may not even worry about it and save the $$.

Don't worry about it. Just take your licks when they come. They won't be often.

Last edited:

qclabrat

@rick81721 's new rack also covers his plates
1547585629186.png

how can they sell these?, that's complete obstruction
1547585889063.png

xc62701

This just in. I just got pulled over 10 minutes ago. Let’s just say I was hurrying home and I passed a cop and he didn’t like my speed. So he turned around and pulled me over. He let me go with a warning and I thanked him profusely. He then reminded me that my bike rack should be off the car when not in use because it obstructs my plate. I thanked him for being so kind again. That’s the first time Ive ever had a cop mention the rack.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This just in. I just got pulled over 10 minutes ago. Let’s just say I was hurrying home and I passed a cop and he didn’t like my speed. So he turned around and pulled me over. He let me go with a warning and I thanked him profusely. He then reminded me that my bike rack should be off the car when not in use because it obstructs my plate. I thanked him for being so kind again. That’s the first time Ive ever had a cop mention the rack.

must be on the forum :)

you owe DARE or PAL a donation!

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

No it's still illegal. I'm thinking the officer is thinking you're lazy if you don't pull the rack off when not transporting a bike. But he's not able to communicate that well. Clearly.

Patrick

Staff member
real thieves steal cars before committing a crime. you leave the rack on, they can't tell if your car is stolen.....
i'll post a pic of my rack on the truck tomorrow.

1547609370083.png

Patrick

Staff member
1-up folded down.

IMG_2802.JPG

i got to get that flemington sticker off there one of these days.

ekuhn

Seeing this today reminded me of this thread. Was on 202 in Branchburg. PA plate. Pouring rain, but I’d be nice to see them get a slice of the law.

C51AC2CB-AD42-4751-A441-42B9F281EAE9.jpeg

Top Bottom