Better, stronger, faster.....

qclabrat

We are GO for the repairs to the ‘primary power supply’. Check-in at 8:30am tomorrow and have a minor exploratory procedure. Bust out the SawsAll on Tuesday and fix some shit.

Likely will be Thursday or Friday before I’m out of the ICU and coherent enough to get my phone back. As always I feel like I’m gonna kick ass in my recovery but by next week reality may settle in and I’ll have to aim for the middle of the recovery bell curve.

I need to get a few more BIYF rides in this season....

Thanks

W

Good luck, what's the anticipated recovery time before getting back on the bike?

bigW

Hokay, alive this is very good news.

The suckage involved in the first 36 hours was quite epic. No tough guy here.

Found out in the second day that I cannot tolerate Percosette another 12 hours of nausea and pain until we switched up to Vikaden.

Super good news is that the valve was spared and just the ascending aorta was replaced. Dr Lau felt good about this possibility and the detail provided after the operation was that by bicusid valve is not the typical asymmetric case of two of the three leaflettes being fused together but rather two perfectly symmetric leaflets.

A78E6421-0196-4A7F-9D73-A6675E438D9B.jpeg

So that explains why no symptoms of valve problem. Looking to get discharged one day early still have all sorts of discomfort but ready to jump into the mix.

AFBF06E9-B776-4391-AB3E-B3F6C4284989.jpeg

W

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
yes !
Alive is good.
No long term blood thinners is good!
Vikes are good - (i was expecting tramadol) save the percs to fund a new bike? don't tell anyone.

Heal up - we'll see ya out on the road in no time.

:hamster dance:

bigW

Sick. I have all the paperwork for the one in Shenandoah. It's called the Lynn Memorial or something like that. 38k of ascent in 380 miles. Can send the info if you want.

Yes please send the info on that. Doubt I will be in shape for it in 2018 but might be a goal for 2019. Don’t know what the recovery schedule looks like but won’t be on the bike again until late March ( right now a single flight of steps kicks my ass ) Assuming spring riding will be solo training and i’d like to sign up for every event that I can find in July/August which is normally a slow time of year. Perhaps start feeling human by October/November.

W

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yes please send the info on that. Doubt I will be in shape for it in 2018 but might be a goal for 2019. Don’t know what the recovery schedule looks like but won’t be on the bike again until late March ( right now a single flight of steps kicks my ass ) Assuming spring riding will be solo training and i’d like to sign up for every event that I can find in July/August which is normally a slow time of year. Perhaps start feeling human by October/November.

W

Sweet. We'll get out when you're ready. Even if you just want company at first.

bigW

CB3FCCC6-F790-47BF-B2C7-0EBD338EB29E.jpeg

Strava sent me this depressing Email.

Phooey.

Three and one half weeks post-surgery and I’m feeling much better. Had the follow up with the surgeon and while he did not provide helpful guidance on permissible training he is happy with what he sees. Drove my car for the first time today and hit my first spin class. (Ugh)

I have a follow up with a sports cardiologist ( Columbia U/NY Presbi ) on the 26th, expecting to get Max HR and exercise duration info. At least three more weeks until the sternum is healed enough for outdoor riding.

E28588F1-5B43-4663-8072-DC5667B10FC1.jpeg

The chest is healing real nice, was a horrible mess when I first got home.

6E7E75C7-1982-4B2E-B47B-1C5F789202A7.jpeg

I have registered for Monkey Knife Fight and Lu Lacka Wyco but expect to not be ready in time for either.

I see temps in the upper 60’s this week, wow that is annoying to miss out on.

Oh well, I need to go with the flow and just see what happens. #1 fear is pushing too quickly and triggering AFib, would prefer to not contend with that as an ongoing problem

W

bigW

Day 46 update:

Sports Cardiologist gave me the green light to push the HR however I want to.

Still taking a small dose of beta-blocker and a full dose of aspirin daily. That will continue for a long time. Indoor trainer is setup but still unused, motivation is not there yet.

Having been hitting spin class every weekday and twice on weekends. Getting the HR above 150 is an ordeal but over time we’ll see if that changes. Did two back to back 55 minute spin classes yesterday HR avg 140 for both.

It looks like 6 weeks was the magic number for the sternum to feel much better. Sleep is easier as is turning around to backup the car safely. Should be back on the bike next weekend, might pedal over to the start off HoH weather permitting.

The only pics I have are from this weeks storm trying to take my power out.

Branch in yard miss my cars and just brushed my house power supply line.

F5F0FEE1-BA84-41EF-8A0E-494DFA23BB83.jpeg

Tree across the street touched down on my front yard but power lines held up.

0015AA24-7B60-4045-8620-ED3B0FAB3F96.jpeg

However strike three showed up later at night when everyone lost power due to unseen cause. No worries it was sorted out the next day....

W

bigW

Random training update.

15 weeks post surgery.

7 weeks back on the bike.

chalked up 300+ miles last week.

Survived Monkey Knife Fight, Lu Lacka Wyco Hundo and Fools Classic.

Small dosage of BetaBlocker has clipped max heart rate from 180 to 160. :-(

Still fat as a house.

Happy as a clam to be back on the bike.

34247F72-D1E8-40AB-A1C7-BA1BE4E46D95.jpeg
7B924FB0-C1AF-4DF9-8388-43591AC98418.jpeg
F78C4193-CD20-4EF7-860D-1A78EF560C00.png
647ED349-C756-407B-92F8-3B30347714CC.jpeg
F9362254-2716-4138-8150-F372CF4EF90A.jpeg

Also took the Family Truckster off-road and smashed lots of stuff...

W

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Are those your regular wheels/tires on your "jeep" ?

Top Bottom