Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I am finally told that they will open up my garage so I can see what I can salvage.
But no word on when it will gets rebuilt. I guess I need to rearrange and make room in my storage area this weekend so I can move the stuff over from the garage. I hope my cycling shoes are ok.

Last edited:

huffster

I keep clicking this thread thinking there will be news of the new arrival. Pictures when it happens.

Sounds like a little progress on the garage front.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I keep clicking this thread thinking there will be news of the new arrival. Pictures when it happens.

Sounds like a little progress on the garage front.
Its going to be an agonizing 2 weeks.
The bike will get shipped from Santa Cruz to the shop on the 16th. Once shipped, they said they will provide me with a tracking number and I'll prolly refresh that courier site every 2 minutes. Lol

On the garage front... I guess it's progress in the sense I'll have access to my bike gears... if they are not ruined. But at least I'll know what needs to be replaced. Last time I saw, shoes and most tools looked ok. Then again, there is a gaping hole on the roof that the FD cut up and with the snow and rain we've had in the last couple of months... I'm thinking it's more wishful thinking.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Few months of no wrenching does a number on you. I forgot how to index the RD!

The Crux was rather dirty and it wasn't shifting all that great. @chrisalecia graciously allowed me to used his driveway and garage to let me work on the bike but no amount of turns of the barrel adjuster was making it better. I was running out of time and pretty much gave up. Thought it might have been a bent hanger and decided to take it to a LBS next week. Got back home and was watching tv with the kid. All of a sudden, it just hit me out of nowhere that it could be that the cable tension wasn't set correctly. Sure enough, couple of minutes of work and now it's shifting smooth!

But the Crux does need a deep clean. Gonna need to tear it down and clean things piece by piece when I get the garage back. Also prolly needs a new chain. Saw that there were 2 quick links on it. I think its fine for now but soon. I also want to convert it back to 2x and will change the chain then.

Yay bikes!

Btw... @MadisonDan why did you put your name on the rear wheel? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Few months of no wrenching does a number on you. I forgot how to index the RD!

The Crux was rather dirty and it wasn't shifting all that great. @chrisalecia graciously allowed me to used his driveway and garage to let me work on the bike but no amount of turns of the barrel adjuster was making it better. I was running out of time and pretty much gave up. Thought it might have been a bent hanger and decided to take it to a LBS next week. Got back home and was watching tv with the kid. All of a sudden, it just hit me out of nowhere that it could be that the cable tension wasn't set correctly. Sure enough, couple of minutes of work and now it's shifting smooth!

But the Crux does need a deep clean. Gonna need to tear it down and clean things piece by piece when I get the garage back. Also prolly needs a new chain. Saw that there were 2 quick links on it. I think its fine for now but soon. I also want to convert it back to 2x and will change the chain then.

Yay bikes!

Btw... @MadisonDan why did you put your name on the rear wheel? :rolleyes:

that is the wheel's name. :D

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Since the garage will be opened up... is there anything on the burnt up bikes that should be kept? I was thinking the frame, stem, cranks and some cogs should be salvageable?

rick81721

Lothar
Since the garage will be opened up... is there anything on the burnt up bikes that should be kept? I was thinking the frame, stem, cranks and some cogs should be salvageable?

You are joking, right? You'd ride metal parts that were in a fire??

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Initially I thought the same but aren't metals heated to shape? So I thinking anything full metal should be Ok? Hoarder mentality taking shape here.

the strength/durability is established by controlling the rate of cooling.
the best it should be is wall art - do something crafty !!!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
the strength/durability is established by controlling the rate of cooling.
the best it should be is wall art - do something crafty !!!
I was looking the pictures I took after the fire... the Defy fork, which is carbon, looks like it kept its shape.
With a little sanding and repainting... I might end up with a pretty good wall deco

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it also depends on how hot the metals got in the fire, without that information i wouldnt take a chance on it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Get some new shoes too for krisesake.
I did... picked up a pair of cheap shimanos at rei garage sale but I think I prefer the 5-10 that's in the garage. :)

it also depends on how hot the metals got in the fire, without that information i wouldnt take a chance on it.
Wishful thinking on my part but hoping the frames are mostly smoke damage. I guess I'll know more when I start sanding it. But then again... if the car was totaled, shouldn't expect much other than for wall art as @fidodie mentioned. Either way... I'm going to save the frames.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
20180114_124056.jpg

See that line? I am hopeful anything below that line will be salvageable. Shoes are below that line.:p

Top Bottom