Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I'm a fan of new with warranty as well. Have had warranty work done on Salsa's years after purchase, and new frames for both my Horsethief and Cannondale Evo.
If I go with a carbon frame, I think I would want the new bike warranty.
I think I need to start begging J and/or Jim to give me a discount on a new Hightower. lol

qclabrat

PM for where I found this, close to your budget and is a Large
1519096458637.png

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Wondering if I should do a 17 Trance Advance 2...
Emailed a shop who has it in stock to see if they would ship this.

EDIT
Blah.... the shop wont ship :(

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Went down to Pedal Montclair because they had a demo of the Pivot 429 Trail for sale and I wanted to check it out. They did have a L but was sold unfortunately. They also had a M and I tried it but after 2 secs of riding it, immediately felt that it would kill my back. M always feels more nimble but after more than an hr, it would destroy my back. Then I got to talking to Lou? and he also said he had a Switchblade demo in a L that could possibly be on sale. For HM, he said that the Switchblade would be better suited than the 429 Trail. Since Pedal also deals with Santa Cruz, I mentioned to him that I was initially looking into a Hightower and he tells me if I got on a Switchblade and if he changed the decals to Santa Cruz, I wouldn't be able to tell too much of a difference. So I make an appointment with him for next Saturday as he says the Switchblade is currently not in presentable shape and not on the premises. I asked him to set it up for me in 27.5 plus form and I can demo it for $100 if I want and have it applied towards a purchase should I buy it. I think he said it was a Pro XT build. Will I like the Switchblade? How do you not like a $6.5k bike?

Bit of texting with @qclabrat to get his thoughts on the Switchblade and started talking about the Super Boost Plus. Is this for real? 46% stiffer than the 135 so they say. Ok fine... but my issue with this relates to my vision of my future herd. The plan was to eventually get a 29er HT so that the FS and the HT can share wheels. I get the impression that the bike industry is aware that its customers are getting sick of new standards coming out all the time and they are sensitive to it. I think I read that Trek is looking into it but has no current plans to switch and Giant is basically at.... we'll see. On the other hand... it seems like the hub guys are pretty much on board with this Super Boost Plus thing. It also seems that this Super Boost Plus might not be a thing with XC bikes. Man... this bike shopping thing should be fun... but I am starting to get stressed again.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
post at at 4am stressing a more expensive bike when you were looking to deal last week!

you are stressing us all out :D:D

the clock is ticking.....thou shall be riding instead of shopping soon!!! (jedi mind trick thing, with some Christianity thrown in)

high tower and chameleon. done. pull trigger on one of them. Then the other next cycle (pun!).
Maybe the chameleon in 29r, the hightower in 27.5+, you now have two wheel sets to swap depending on your mood - get the 11sp builds.

do we need to come and rebuild the garage? or is that happening already? will need a secure place to store your awesome machines when
they arrive in a couple weeks. :)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
post at at 4am stressing a more expensive bike when you were looking to deal last week!

you are stressing us all out :D:D
The Switchblade is a demo so it will be around $4k mark. It would be $6.5k if new

do we need to come and rebuild the garage? or is that happening already? will need a secure place to store your awesome machines when
they arrive in a couple weeks. :)
Spoke to the property manager this past Tuesday and he said it would any day now.... nothing yet
I think it might need to sleep with the new bike

rick81721

Lothar
Bit of texting with @qclabrat to get his thoughts on the Switchblade and started talking about the Super Boost Plus. Is this for real? 46% stiffer than the 135 so they say. Ok fine... but my issue with this relates to my vision of my future herd. The plan was to eventually get a 29er HT so that the FS and the HT can share wheels. I get the impression that the bike industry is aware that its customers are getting sick of new standards coming out all the time and they are sensitive to it. I think I read that Trek is looking into it but has no current plans to switch and Giant is basically at.... we'll see. On the other hand... it seems like the hub guys are pretty much on board with this Super Boost Plus thing. It also seems that this Super Boost Plus might not be a thing with XC bikes. Man... this bike shopping thing should be fun... but I am starting to get stressed again.

That switchblade looks like a DH bike, what do you need that for? If I were you I'd get one top end FS bike - where you ride why would you want a hardtail? And get 12 sp because 12 is one better than 11

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
That switchblade looks like a DH bike, what do you need that for? If I were you I'd get one top end FS bike - where you ride why would you want a hardtail? And get 12 sp because 12 is one better than 11
Switchblade is 150 travel trail bike.
As for the HT, I would like to subscribe to n+1 :)

rick81721

Lothar
Switchblade is 150 travel trail bike.
As for the HT, I would like to subscribe to n+1 :)

Gotta have 2 mtbs at least - you have none right now? I'd still go high end, then get a used one for cheap just as backup. I thought about HT for FL but even shit-canned that idea, def wouldn't want one in NJ, unless I lived in south jersey and the only local trails were like Wharton.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Gotta have 2 mtbs at least - you have none right now? I'd still go high end, then get a used one for cheap just as backup. I thought about HT for FL but even shit-canned that idea, def wouldn't want one in NJ, unless I lived in south jersey and the only local trails were like Wharton.
The Giant Talon survived so I still have a 27.5 HT. But looking to replace this for a 29er

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the guy told you that if you ride the Pivot, you can’t tell the difference from the Santa Cruz? Isn’t it obvious to then go SC because thousands cheaper?

Top Bottom