Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I’m in the middle of my annual “change shit up for shits and giggles” kick.... I went with a Maxxis Aggressor DD on the rear of the tallboy.. cuz wet pointy rocks. It was between that and the Minion SS. I think either would work well for you.
Is it called "shits and giggles" because your wallet goes to shit but you still giggle anyway?
In the 27.5x2.6 offerings.... at least on Jenson
Maxxis DHF
Maxxis Rekon
Maxxis Forekaster
Schwalbe NN
Schwalbe NN Addix
Schwalbe Magic Mary
Schwalbe Rock Razor

I also run NN on the rear, not because I want to, but was cheap on Jenson
Last year I was NN front and rear on a 26r and hated the front traction, changed to Hans Dampf front and was night and day
Did the same combo on the Bandit, mainly because it was good value for the performance achieved. Both tires were less than the price of one Minion.
Everyone seems to like the Minions, I'll like to try set next year.

Remember it's also about the compound, performance series is nice but harder than the sticky triple stuff and other variants.
If you ran a 29r, I'd have plenty of tires for you to demo.
On Jenson, NN 2.6 and DHF 2.6 are about the same price now.... when is the sale happening?

qclabrat

Marys and RoRas I think are too aggressive for you trail riding. Which compound are you looking at for the DHF

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
DHF/DHR or go home! If you can't get it set up tubeless or manage to get a flat on those, you're doing bikes wrong! On my Flows I have a 3c front for more grip, 2c rear for more durability.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
DHF/DHR or go home! If you can't get it set up tubeless or manage to get a flat on those, you're doing bikes wrong! On my Flows I have a 3c front for more grip, 2c rear for more durability.
Both DHF? Give me all specs of your tire setup

qclabrat

I have the HighRoller 2s (MaxxTerra) in the front and Butchers in the rear on the Rallon and its the slowest set of tires I've ever ridden
Next year I'm moving the HR2s to the rear and putting Magic Marys in the front when @Juggernaut and I try to relive our youths at MCBP

@1sh0t1b33r, I've been relunctant to buy DHF/Rs for that reason. Tire treads look similar, but I'm guessing they ride completely different from the HR2s?

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Next year I'm moving the HR2s to the rear and putting Magic Marys in the front when @Juggernaut and I try to relive our youths at MCBP

Speaking of "the summer of park".....guess what just showed up at Halters.:rolleyes:
image.jpeg

Now the only thing left on the list is skillz....... Sadly, I don't think those are showing up in the UPS truck.:oops:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yep... Giant advertised the Trance to be able to fit a 2.6 front and rear.
That Clint Gibbs dude installed 2.6 NN front and rear and was even able to fit a 3.0 in the front but doubt the stock rims would be able to handle a 3.0
Damn you Giant!
Now I am reading that the XC-1 rims on the aluminum Trance is narrower than the carbon rims on the carbon Trance.
I guess I will have to get new wheels to try out the 2.6... :(

qclabrat

Damn you Giant!
Now I am reading that the XC-1 rims on the aluminum Trance is narrower than the carbon rims on the carbon Trance.
what is the width of the XC-1?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Damn you Giant!
Internal or external width... cuz we only care about internal.....carbon will always be wider externally for the same internal.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
When I started this mtb thing, I wanted a do it all bike. This plus bike experience has really started to make me re-think things...

Took out the plus bike in the snow this morning and more i ride this thing, the more I want one. I couldnt believe the traction it provided on the snow. Other than the really steep stuff, it really grabbed on to things. Enough so that i was starting to gain confidence that i was hitting some corners with bit more speed and even got off the saddle to put some power down. To be fair... I could have ridden my skinny wheels as the snow was only 1-2" deep but I wouldn't have had this much fun. I started thinking... if a 3.25 tires can do this... what about a fat bike?

Then I started asking myself... what do i really want? Do I want a do it all bike? Which I think the plus bike pretty much covers for my type of riding or do i want a designated winter bike?

Top Bottom