Book of Paul H

6:42AM bus to NYC and on the 7:45AM bus back home.
POSS is back home... not too much about the cold but didn't want to ride with the sun down on the way back to PABT.
She is going to get some upgrades.... a sealed cartridge BB and drop bars while she's home.

full
I have some diacompe levers for you, but you'll need new hoods. Have both aero or non, your choice

Checked eBay.... looks like the hoods are about the same prices as the lever set.
Any idea where I can get the hoods cheaper?
Don't get the diacompe brand. Google which off brands fit like AME and find an "off" color on clearance. But for a commuter, you might just want to wrap it a few times with old bar wrap. That's so much more appropriate IMo

Don't get the diacompe brand. Google which off brands fit like AME and find an "off" color on clearance. But for a commuter, you might just want to wrap it a few times with old bar wrap. That's so much more appropriate IMo
Hmmm thats a good idea... bar tape or a tube... Aero please!

@C8N - when you ride with gentlemen like @liong71er and @qclabrat, they know that the ride will have a certain pace.
Their expectations are set, and they will make you push, but never abandon you. Go all in, that is all they ask.
And i'm figuring Liong was going just fast enough to keep Walt on the edge. Think about your progress!

Hoping to ride with you all soon.

--

on the tubeless - Trip@halters added an o-ring to my stems - i thought re-taping was needed. Simple solution. Gave the sealant somewhere to grab.

---

Sealant: Make your own - buy a gallon of latex and a gallon of winter wiper fluid. Split is with someone - $25/gallon

@C8N - when you ride with gentlemen like @liong71er and @qclabrat, they know that the ride will have a certain pace.
Their expectations are set, and they will make you push, but never abandon you. Go all in, that is all they ask.
And i'm figuring Liong was going just fast enough to keep Walt on the edge. Think about your progress!

--
on the tubeless - Trip@halters added an o-ring to my stems - i thought re-taping was needed. Simple solution. Gave the sealant somewhere to grab.
---
Sealant: Make your own - buy a gallon of latex and a gallon of winter wiper fluid. Split is with someone - $25/gallon

Is glitter or some other substrate missing from the DIY selant? I thought @mattybfat had a recipe that included glitter.

Absolutely, I know they will not abandon me. Which is why it was a dickhead move on my part to abandon them.
At some point, I decided not to care too much about getting stronger and faster. These days, I am conserving energy so that I can enjoy the descents. Not to mention, when I had my bout with sinus infections earlier this year, it took more of a backseat. I need to get back to working on getting my cardio and endurance up.

Beginner rides! :D
--

---

I failed HS chemistry.... ok.... not really but....

Is glitter or some other substrate missing from the DIY selant? I thought @mattybfat had a recipe that included glitter.
all you want to know about homebrew sealant is here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/best-tubeless-brew-406115.html

I was going to make a batch, but I just got a bunch of new tires and didn't want to deal with weeping if the proportions didn't come out optimal
Look up the formula for BAMFS, there are 3 versions I believe, some with glitter or cornmeal, can't recall which
Though will probably make a batch for the fat tires as I'm sure my purchased sealant will run out soon, I'll be glad to share when I get around to doing so...

Oh crap - we scrapped the wiper fluid for RV antifreeze - less ammonia to mess with any sensitive parts.
Also added slime, which had some grains of something.
i guess glitter would stay in suspension better than very fine sand????
don't add water here. keep the freezing point well below 0F

IT'S A FREAKIN TANK!
Last week, @Mr.Moto was generous enough to loan me a RSD Sergeant... a 27.5 Plus bike with 3.25 tires... I think. Took her down to Nassau last week and hoping for snow, did a short ride at HM this morning as well. Didn't want to mess around with the bike too much so all I did was adjust the saddle height and position, switched over to clipless pedals and rotated the handlebar to a more upright position. I am prolly going to regurgitate what has already been said about plus bikes but here it goes. On the steady fire road climbs, it took a bit more effort to get it going. On asphalt descents, the bike had a mind of its own and it did kinda steered itself. It was a bit scary when going at high speeds. The fun really started once I got it on the trails. The thing just rolled over everything and it was relatively easy to maintain speed on technical terrains. Even at HM, I did not miss the full squish bike all that much. On the short punchy climbs, no need to worry about body position and I was able to get off the saddle and whale down on the pedals without having to worry about the rear wheel slipping... unless it was crazy steep. Traction was just incredible. I would get knocked off the saddle because of rear wheel slippage on my skinny wheels but not on this thing. Just pedal and next thing I know, I'm at the top. Not to mention... I had no pedal strikes at Nassau or HM.

Only negative was that the bike didn't fit me well. It had a shorter reach when compared to my Trance and I started getting some backaches about an hr into the ride. Had too much weight up front and really had to shove my ass back whenever the trail pointed down. Was a bit scary on the steeper ones and on the longer descents, arm pump was an issue too. If this was my bike, I would prolly slap on a wider bar (to control the self steer) and a longer stem (to help extend the reach). I would prolly also want a slightly narrower tires to see it will further correct the self steering issue since I ride out to the trails. On the log overs, the front of the bike felt like a pogo stick. Prolly an adjustment to the rebound would have fixed it but again.... didn't want to mess around with the bike too much. Either way, if I was to get a plus bike, I can see myself going with a rigid fork.

Beta noob's conclusion? I don't think I would replace my skinny FS bike with a plus HT. This definitely would be a n+1 bike for me. I think I would miss the thrills of the skinny FS bike. If I was feeling lazy and wanted to go out for a slow (slower than usual) cruise, this would be the bike. Also, if a fresh noob wanted to start mtbing, I would put them on a plus HT. They would walk away with a grin ear to ear just as I have. Do I want one? Absofreakinlutely! Can someone please buy my Talon?

Thank you @Mr.Moto for the bike and I need to return this back to you before decide to I move out of NJ, quit mtbnj and change my phone # and identity.

full

Last edited:
IT'S A FREAKIN TANK!
Last week, @Mr.Moto was generous enough to loan me a RSD Sergeant... a 27.5 Plus bike with 3.25 tires... I think. Took her down to Nassau last week and hoping for snow, did a short ride at HM this morning as well. Didn't want to mess around with the bike too much so all I did was adjust the saddle height and position, switched over to clipless pedals and rotated the handlebar to a more upright position. I am prolly going to regurgitate what has already been said about plus bikes but here it goes. On the steady fire road climbs, it took a bit more effort to get it going. On asphalt descents, the bike had a mind of its own and it did kinda steered itself. It was a bit scary when going at high speeds. The fun really started once I got it on the trails. The thing just rolled over everything and it was relatively easy to maintain speed on technical terrains. Even at HM, I did not miss the full squish bike all that much. On the short punchy climbs, no need to worry about body position and I was able to get off the saddle and whale down on the pedals without having to worry about the rear wheel slipping... unless it was crazy steep. Traction was just incredible. I would get knocked off the saddle because of rear wheel slippage on my skinny wheels but not on this thing. Just pedal and next thing I know, I'm at the top. Not to mention... I had no pedal strikes at Nassau or HM.

Only negative was that the bike didn't fit me well. It had a shorter reach when compared to my Trance and I started getting some backaches about an hr into the ride. Had too much weight up front and really had to shove my ass back whenever the trail pointed down. Was a bit scary on the steeper ones and on the longer descents, arm pump was an issue too. If this was my bike, I would prolly slap on a wider bar (to control the self steer) and a longer stem (to help extend the reach). I would prolly also want a slightly narrower tires to see it will further correct the self steering issue since I ride out to the trails. On the log overs, the front of the bike felt like a pogo stick. Prolly an adjustment to the rebound would have fixed it but again.... didn't want to mess around with the bike too much. Either way, if I was to get a plus bike, I can see myself going with a rigid fork.

Beta noob's conclusion? I don't think I would replace my skinny FS bike with a plus HT. This definitely would be a n+1 bike for me. I think I would miss the thrills of the skinny FS bike. If I was feeling lazy and wanted to go out for a slow (slower than usual) cruise, this would be the bike. Also, if a fresh noob wanted to start mtbing, I would put them on a plus HT. They would walk away with a grin ear to ear just as I have. Do I want one? Absofreakinlutely! Can someone please buy my Talon?

Thank you @Mr.Moto for the bike and I need to return this back to you before decide to I move out of NJ, quit mtbnj and change my phone # and identity.

full

Glad you were able to get out and try it again on your home turf. Some of the issues you noted would likely be fixed with some adjustments. Those tires are definitely not ideal, - big & porky (You should get out and try it in the snow!). Going to 2.8's would really change the ride.

Last edited:
Glad you were able to get out and try it again on your home turf. Some of the issues you noted would likely be fixed with some adjustments. Those tires are definitely not ideal, - big & porky (You should get out and try it in the snow!). Going to the right 2.8's would really change the ride.

Done.... I just had to even if it was in the front lawn... lol
full

Will it fit in the rear? Im not sure a skinny rear will measure up based on your assessment of the RSD
Yep... Giant advertised the Trance to be able to fit a 2.6 front and rear.
That Clint Gibbs dude installed 2.6 NN front and rear and was even able to fit a 3.0 in the front but doubt the stock rims would be able to handle a 3.0

Done.... I just had to even if it was in the front lawn... lol
full

Yep... Giant advertised the Trance to be able to fit a 2.6 front and rear.
That Clint Gibbs dude installed 2.6 NN front and rear and was even able to fit a 3.0 in the front but doubt the stock rims would be able to handle a 3.0
They probably can at your speeds. If you really push it into a turn, it could maybe fold over.

They probably can at your speeds. If you really push it into a turn, it could maybe fold over.
Pfff... obviously you have not seen all the ruts I've created at HM from all the drifting I do

Ok fine... no ruts and I can't drift.... happy now?

Nobby Nic on my Trance front and back.
Both are performance line but front is 2.4 and rear is 2.25. The 2.25 sidewalls feels soft. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing but despite my lack of knowledge in rubber, I don't like it for some reason. I have never really been too tire curious before but now I am wishing for something with more cornering grip to cover up my lack of skills. I keep telling myself I'll get different tires when they wear out but I find myself reading tire related threads and I keep checking Jenson hoping for a sale on tires. I've been here before... and if history is any kind of indicator, I will prolly end up pulling the trigger before the end of winter. Sure, there will be an internal fight, but logic and reason usually never wins.

I initially wanted to move the NN 2.4 to the rear and get a NN 2.6 for the front. But recently @Juggernaut recommended Maxxis Minion DHF as front tire and now I want one. I guess my next question is, what tire for the rear? DHF as well? DHR? And then... what size? 2.6? smaller? I guess I can put the NN 2.4 in the rear and save some money but wouldn't that look weird? IDK....

Nobby Nic on my Trance front and back.
Both are performance line but front is 2.4 and rear is 2.25. The 2.25 sidewalls feels soft. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing but despite my lack of knowledge in rubber, I don't like it for some reason. I have never really been too tire curious before but now I am wishing for something with more cornering grip to cover up my lack of skills. I keep telling myself I'll get different tires when they wear out but I find myself reading tire related threads and I keep checking Jenson hoping for a sale on tires. I've been here before... and if history is any kind of indicator, I will prolly end up pulling the trigger before the end of winter. Sure, there will be an internal fight, but logic and reason usually never wins.

I initially wanted to move the NN 2.4 to the rear and get a NN 2.6 for the front. But recently @Juggernaut recommended Maxxis Minion DHF as front tire and now I want one. I guess my next question is, what tire for the rear? DHF as well? DHR? And then... what size? 2.6? smaller? I guess I can put the NN 2.4 in the rear and save some money but wouldn't that look weird? IDK....

I’m in the middle of my annual “change shit up for shits and giggles” kick.... I went with a Maxxis Aggressor DD on the rear of the tallboy.. cuz wet pointy rocks. It was between that and the Minion SS. I think either would work well for you.

I also run NN on the rear, not because I want to, but was cheap on Jenson
Last year I was NN front and rear on a 26r and hated the front traction, changed to Hans Dampf front and was night and day
Did the same combo on the Bandit, mainly because it was good value for the performance achieved. Both tires were less than the price of one Minion.
Everyone seems to like the Minions, I'll like to try set next year.

Remember it's also about the compound, performance series is nice but harder than the sticky triple stuff and other variants.
If you ran a 29r, I'd have plenty of tires for you to demo.

Back
Top Bottom