Book of Paul H

moose35

Dammit! I test fitted the SLX brakes on the Trance and the hose for the rear is too short! :mad:
Changed the front to SLX and only swapped the lever for the rear for now so they match.
The SLX definitely has more bite.
Did you bed in the new brakes properly?
If not that's why they could not feel as nice.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Did you bed in the new brakes properly?
If not that's why they could not feel as nice.
I would imagine the bike shop did the job right. Also, it wasn't that the deore brakes were sucky... just that the SLX was better as it should.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would imagine the bike shop did the job right. Also, it wasn't that the deore brakes were sucky... just that the SLX was better as it should.
Bike shops don't bed in the brakes. He means that they need to break in so just ride it, but it looks like it's too late, lol.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why did I read that as bled? Lol
Because impatience.
Wednesday.gif

Now bring it to FunMonday at Chimney Rock!

qclabrat

magic's right, her as it's built, after the minor tweaks the Bandit was pretty nice, even with the 120 rear and 140 upfront rides a lot like a XC bike. I'd give it till the Fall before upgrades like tires. As for the brakes, maybe swap hoses with the deore, but then you'll need to rebleed both. Then again, I doubt the Talon will get much saddle time in the near future.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Always good advice from @1sh0t1b33r
My hydropack is rather small. Bladder and hand pump and some food and there really is not much room left. I do have a larger one but it's not as comfortable as the small one. I havent used the bigger one in a while because of this. Gotta figure something out.

As for the tires, when it's time to replace, I'm going to go with 2.6 but for now... what meant was to use the current tires and switching the front and back to 2.25 in front and 2.35 in the rear.
Was not sure if a typo. Better to keep the larger tire in front to help grip in the turns.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
As for the brakes, maybe swap hoses with the deore, but then you'll need to rebleed both. Then again, I doubt the Talon will get much saddle time in the near future.
Only if it was that easy... thought about it and researched it and so far, I am getting the indication that it is not possible to swap hoses. The Deore has the regular fitting just like at the lever but the SLX has a crimped banjo fitting at the caliper. Need to get a new hose. Just gotta a measure the bike to see if 1700 will be snuff. I am sure it is but... measure twice and cut once right? BTW... those damn hoses are expensive for what they are.

Was not sure if a typo. Better to keep the larger tire in front to help grip in the turns.
I guess that is what everyone does, having the wider tire up front. My thought was that since I can't go all that fast at HM, I thought it would be better to have the wider tire on the rear for climbing.
But then, when I go to different parks, I might bitch and whine that I have no traction up front.... just because I am a whiner.

Eh... I guess I won't be slow forever. Hopefully one day, I will need that traction up front.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good lookin bike! Congrats.
On tires....... keep the slightly wider one up front. Also, if you're gonna set up tubeless, check to see if those are the EVO/TL version or the Performance line. You can set up the Performance line tubeless, but they're gonna be difficult, and will puncture easier. My XtC came with the performance line, somebody at Hb got them set up, and I punctured each one at short track. Zero problems with the EVO/TL versions.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Good lookin bike! Congrats.
On tires....... keep the slightly wider one up front. Also, if you're gonna set up tubeless, check to see if those are the EVO/TL version or the Performance line. You can set up the Performance line tubeless, but they're gonna be difficult, and will puncture easier. My XtC came with the performance line, somebody at Hb got them set up, and I punctured each one at short track. Zero problems with the EVO/TL versions.
They are the cheaper performance and will be setting them up tubeless as soon as stans arrives. I have the same tires on my other bike. It prolly has bazillion punctures and it's been leaking air slowly that stans has not been sealing. Figuring something was stuck there and i think i cleared it but need more stans to test it out.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I think I had only 1oz of stans left. Dumped it into the Talon's rear and pumped it up to 40psi. Will check tomorrow morning to see if it is holding air.
Didn't pay too much attention to the Talons tires until recently when the rear started leaking air and @qclabrat mentioned that its wearing down. The tires on the Talon looks like shit. Thinking at least 1 more season? since the Talon will prolly not see too much play time. Most likely will be a bad weather bike or for places like 6mr.

Rear
[GALLERY=media, 1303]20170704_053144 by C8N posted Jul 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM[/GALLERY]

Front
[GALLERY=media, 1304]20170704_053234 by C8N posted Jul 14, 2017 at 8:37 PM[/GALLERY]

New bottle of stans will be coming in tomorrow according to Amazon... at which point the Trance will go tubeless.

My garage is starting to look like a Giant dealer.... Talon, Defy, and now Trance
Anyone got a Giant banner you wanna donate? lol

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Trance... tubeless success!
[GALLERY=media, 1305]20170715_125138 by C8N posted Jul 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM[/GALLERY]

Talon... not so much. It's still leaking air. Pumped it up to 40psi again and if still leaks air tomorrow, i guess its time to dump the tire.

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Those tires still appear to have plenty of tread, though the bottom one looks like some junk tire. I may have some not super fancy, but tubeless tires in better shape if you want. Is it the first time those tires are going tubeless? If so, 1oz is definitely not enough, especially for a first set up, and it's best to ride it right after install to spread the sealant.

But congrats on the other tubeless success! +1 for lining up the logo with the valve.:thumbsup:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Those tires still appear to have plenty of tread, though the bottom one looks like some junk tire. I may have some not super fancy, but tubeless tires in better shape if you want. Is it the first time those tires are going tubeless? If so, 1oz is definitely not enough, especially for a first set up, and it's best to ride it right after install to spread the sealant.

But congrats on the other tubeless success! +1 for lining up the logo with the valve.:thumbsup:
The bottom one is a nobby nic wire bead... so yeah... kinda junky. I have brand new NN performance folding type on stand by. The rear tire on the Talon was set up tubeless but just that it prolly has a bunch on punctures on them. I'm thinking one of those punctures has something stuck there but I just can't find it. If I am going to take off the tire to look for the puncture, im thinking might as well put a new one.

That lining up the logo... @soundz told me about that a while ago. Just following advice from mtb sages. :)

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The bottom one is a nobby nic wire bead... so yeah... kinda junky. I have brand new NN performance folding type on stand by. The rear tire on the Talon was set up tubeless but just that it prolly has a bunch on punctures on them. I'm thinking one of those punctures has something stuck there but I just can't find it. If I am going to take off the tire to look for the puncture, im thinking might as well put a new one.

That lining up the logo... @soundz told me about that a while ago. Just following advice from mtb sages. :)
So you're running a wire bead tire tubeless? There's your problem. Wire bead are never tubeless ready.

Top Bottom