Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It's one of these

s-l225.jpg

The tool looks pretty much the same as the regular freewheel tool but its a different size

shim-fw1.jpg

qclabrat

there's a bunch out there and sometime getting an old freewheel off is not easy
need to either know the model of it or make some good measurements. I have 3 but not sure if any will fit. Need to look downstairs.
Sometimes its just best to go to a bike shop which works on old bike and give them $5-10 to take it off

Tools_FW_Pullers_Bottom_All_1_Comment_1.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Seen the tool refered to as shimano "boss"
Eh... I guess I'll need to take a trip to the LBS this weekend. Supposed to rain anyways.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Crap! I called around to LBS's... none of them have the tool.
Can I have 1 set please?

Sure. I can't guarantee you won't have any problems taking off cassettes on these things. You're free to come and take a look!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Sure. I can't guarantee you won't have any problems taking off cassettes on these things. You're free to come and take a look!
I took the destructive approach.... dremeled it and took the freewheel off.

20170530_212127.jpg

But why does the hub diameter look small to me? Do freewheels come in different sizes?

20170530_212046.jpg

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I was waiting for this, lol.
I initially made a small cut on the locking nut to tap it loose but it wasn't budging... taps started becoming big blows. All of a sudden, the cogs started coming undone by themselves. After that, I had room on the locking nut to make bigger cuts to wedge a large screw driver into and twisted it off.

I never intended to use the original freewheel so no issues. :)

qclabrat

not that it matters to your SS build
Sunrace now make 9 & 10 speed retro freewheels, going to get one for the mixte

fw2135_1.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Still looks too nice.
I think its the color... I was looking around PABT of the bikes that were locked up and they were all black or brown.
I think the yellow POSS will stick out. Hopefully, the two locks and "BENT FRAME" marking will have some effect.

huffster

Yes, its shiny. Some thieves are very smart, but I would say the average bike thief in NY is smart enough to cut chain/lock, but otherwise is mainly looking for a cheap, temporary ride. So, I really think something as simple as flat tires or no chain could be very good deterrents and things you could remedy quickly before you ride. Good luck!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yes, its shiny. Some thieves are very smart, but I would say the average bike thief in NY is smart enough to cut chain/lock, but otherwise is mainly looking for a cheap, temporary ride. So, I really think something as simple as flat tires or no chain could be very good deterrents and things you could remedy quickly before you ride. Good luck!
Now you got me thinking in qr'ing the front wheel and taking it with me.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Slow day at work and I'm thinking of a POSA... Piece of Shit Aluminum

Would this be possible to replace the POSS as a commuter w/o worrying too much about getting stolen?

Top Bottom