Book of Paul H

Some progress... not in terms of demolition or construction but all garbage has been cleaned up.
20180720_181917.jpg

Got delivery of my cheap tires today
20180720_182337.jpg

Took the advantage of a rainy Saturday and headed over to @arangov3 place because he generously allowed me to use his garage and compressor to set up my Talon tubeless. Packed up the wheels with supplies and headed over. Then while I was on 80, it started to pour! I cant remember the last time it rained this much. Anyways, tubless set up was painless... altho I did knock over the stans bottle and spilled sealant all over Max's garage. Eh... worth it because the Talon was never fully tubeless. The front tire was always tubed. My reasoning was.... because it was painful. I had many tubeless fails and didn't want to bother since I rarely flated at the front wheel. Well... that's the past now and the Talon is fully tubeless. I was rather surprised how easy it was this time around. The tire held air even when I did a dry run without the sealant. Pretty cool!

After riding Sourlands and Wildcat, I've noticed a few unintentional unclipping. Maybe the cleats wore out a bit? I think I need to tighten it up because I've always been on the loosest setting. Couple of clicks I suppose but I might be heading into clipless fail territory once again.

Couple of clicks I suppose but I might be heading into clipless fail territory once again.

if youv been riding on clipless for a while you should have the muscle memory down pretty good at this point, IME it will take a significant increase in tension or change in float to throw off your unclipping

if youv been riding on clipless for a while you should have the muscle memory down pretty good at this point, IME it will take a significant increase in tension or change in float to throw off your unclipping
I think I've been on clipless for 2 yrs now. I still have some close calls every now and then during emergency bail outs.
I thought about going back to flats but I like being connected to the bike in the technical sections.

Picked up a used set of XT M8000 brakes for the Talon this past weekend. Looks like the existing rear hose length works. Just need to connect it and bleed it... if I can find the olive and bleeding cup. The front is installed and works well. Took the Talon for a spin around the block to get the sealant coated well inside the new tubeless set up. After riding the Hightower exclusively the past few months... those 2.25 tires on the Talon looks tinny.

Also dropped off the Hightower at Wyckoff Cycle to get the brakes bled and should be able to pick it up on Sat so I guess no real riding until Sun.... unless its less technical parks.

. . . no real riding until Sun.... unless its less technical parks.

ummm or you could just ride it on your hardtail anyway, there is very very little (MCBP . . . i cant think of anything else) in NJ that you cannot ride on a hardtail, (i speak from experience since i started out on a hardtail and rode all over the state on it)

ummm or you could just ride it on your hardtail anyway, there is very very little (MCBP . . . i cant think of anything else) in NJ that you cannot ride on a hardtail, (i speak from experience since i started out on a hardtail and rode all over the state on it)
Yeah... I've done HM on this Talon the first 2 yrs of my mtb career but now I've been spoiled and would rather not. :)

Yeah... I've done HM on this Talon the first 2 yrs of my mtb career but now I've been spoiled and would rather not. :)
I ride with you all the time on my hardtail, take the opportunity and fine tune those line choice skills!!! Hell if Max can do it so can you LOL

I ride with you all the time on my hardtail, take the opportunity and fine tune those line choice skills!!! Hell if Max can do it so can you LOL
I know I can... it's just that I enjoy HM on the FS so much more. The Talon has a 140 fork so no issues handling the rocks at HM and it actually climbs better than the Hightower. I just feel beat up on the Talon in the northern parks. Maybe I'm just getting old.

It looks a lot more promising than once thought. should be back in action in time for Clayton on Sunday! Might get away with new chain and cable, little labor to adjust RD. Thanks!:)

It looks a lot more promising than once thought. should be back in action in time for Clayton on Sunday! Might get away with new chain and cable, little labor to adjust RD. Thanks!:)
That's good news!
But I think the guys are leaning towards Jungle on Sun. Since you weren't able to complete the ride yesterday, maybe you wanna give Jungle a try again?

Ok... I found the olive and then I realized I don't have any mineral oil and I cant seem to remember what I did with that cup/funnel thing. It's cheap enough for me to buy another one but with no garage, is there a point to buying them now? I mean, I have all the stuff to bleed the Guides but I took the Hightower down to LBS anyways. I figured it would be cheaper to have the LBS do it instead of me making a mess, not having a stand or place to work, and end up contaminating the pads/rotors.

The garage status is in limbo again. Spoke with our maintenance guy and now the excuse is that they need approval from the township. I think its time for me to attend another board meeting and this time really bitch and complain.

I think I am going to start working on the PIP again. Last time, it had a rigid fork with rim brakes but I took those off and installed a RS Recon and Tektro hydros. It just needs wheels which I think I have lined up and looking to pick them up over the weekend. Not sure what I am doing with this bike. I started this thing so that my wife would ride. But of course, she doesn't. Then I thought my kid has grown big enough to use this bike. But not so sure if she will ride it.... Maybe I'll just sell this off in CL.

The other day, took a brief look at the POSS that's sitting in storage. It looks pretty ghetto with the smoke damage. It looks pretty ugly. I've given up the idea of commuting by bike this year. Hopefully I can get back to it next year. I still need to do brake cables on it.

My rides this year has been short. I don't think I've went over 10miles too often. Cramped pretty hard at Wildcat and I felt it coming towards the end of the ride at Jungle last week but didn't develop into a full blown cramp. With my wife and kid away, I have lost a little bit of weight and that's a plus but my conditioning sucks. I need to do a long ride with Liong but I am scared to. (notice I didn't tag him) lol Maybe I should just go to 6MR or Stewart or the likes and just ride until I collapse a few times.

Heath-wise, still having issues with my sinus and this vitamin D deficiency thing is lingering on. Have a doc's appointment this coming Monday. Will see what is said then.

Let me know anytime you want to go up to Stewart and just ride until exhaustion, I can head up there pretty often as my mother lives upstate but would need to do an 11 or 12 ride time.

Let me know anytime you want to go up to Stewart and just ride until exhaustion, I can head up there pretty often as my mother lives upstate but would need to do an 11 or 12 ride time.
I would have said this Sat but it looks like I will be going to Staten Island to pick up some bike stuff for someone from around the Parsippany area who rides a Kona

Back
Top Bottom