Best trainer $200-400?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I already have cycleops rollers I usebut looking for a trainer with resistance for interval work and potentially to rideoff boredom in the coldwithZwift or something similar. I likethe rollers but would likea trainer as well. Also, what's required to get started with Zwift or the cycleops version?

@pooriggy special reply zone ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Last edited:
Come on Dave, why didn't you think about riding outside. :rolleyes:

Check your Facebook page, I sent you a link on a trainer that should fit the bill.

Look for a reconditioned Kickr Snap. I was able to pick up my old Kickr for $200 off list shipped after I put myself on the refurb list. You may have to call, but it's worth it if you're dipping your toe into the Zwift water. They're also out there on Ebay... Take advantage of someone else's buyer's regret :)

Why not ride outside? Hit the coast and do long hard pulls in the headwind or do hill repeats at Harshourne or up to the top of the Highlands?
I do but I am trying to ride more and with kids it's tough. I would commute like you but 40 miles to North Newark is out of the question. This is more for winter months when it's even more time consuming to get layered up and put lights on etc.

2 cents..
Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
ANT+ dongle for iPad or laptop or whatever. Pickus up Garmin sensors (speed/cadence/HR) which I'm guessing you may have.
I use this set up on TrainerRoad. Works great. Tried Zwift when it was beta, and it worked then too. Don't Zwift now though.
The Sufferfest has their own app, very similar to TrainerRoad, but less workouts. BUT.... You get their videos which are BRUTALLY AWESOME. I own all the videos from before they had an app, and they play in TrainerRoad on the computer (non iPad) version. Both Sufferfest and TR have structured workout plans. Definitely worth a look.....

The $200-400 range is tough. Like @seanrunnette alluded to, not enough for a good smart trainer and it's not worth skimping on a low end job. Of the "dumb" trainers, the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine seems to be the best bet. I forget the specifics but resistance unit is built in such a way that it should never leak or fail.

I've been on a CycleOps Fluid2 for the last few years, which is similar to the Road Machine and find it's great for trainer workouts and TrainerRoad with speed/cadence/power but leaves something to be desired for Zwift. Riding up a "hill" on a dumb trainer just feels silly. The Fluid2 is known to leak at times but mine has been rock solid for 3-4 years.

I'd scoop up the Road Machine that's for sale here to hold you over for a few years until smart trainer prices come down. There's also an outside chance that Kurt Kinetic will open the ANT+ protocols in their new smart trainers as time goes on and their sales slump so you can then buy a new resistance unit to bolt to the chassis when the price is right.

I've had my Fluid2 come "broken" as it had the rattling sound I had normal for a few years. Quick phone call to saris and they shipped a replacement and paid for shipping of the old unit back to them.

Fast forward a number of years later and it began leaking. Another call and same thing, they just shipped me a new one (with the updated handle to boot) and paid for shipping the old anchor back.

Supposedly their warranty is garbage though on their smart trainer's electronics, which seem to sometimes go bad...

On edit: I should mention I don't really ride the trainer that much, so it's a bit annoying it leaked. But it was a few years old.

Update: After 6 years, my Fluid2 is leaking. Saris is sending a new unit under warranty at no cost to me.

Was borderline hoping they wouldn't replace it so I could buy a Kickr.

Update: After 6 years, my Fluid2 is leaking. Saris is sending a new unit under warranty at no cost to me.

Was borderline hoping they wouldn't replace it so I could buy a Kickr.
I recently bought a magnus. Works well and easy to set up. Tried with zwift and everything is pretty flawless. Paid around $450 with my discount.

I hope your Fluid2 doesn't make a racket like my last warranty replacement does. :)

If my stand wasn't covered in sweat and rust, I'd just sell the whole thing and put it towards the Kickr2 fund. A $1,200 luxury toy seems like a worthwhile expense in the middle of buying/selling apartments and with a pregnant wife at home, right?!

Surprisingly I don't even have to return the leaking unit, just chuck it in the trash to "field destroy" it.

why a trainer, this is free

route-66-new-mexico-usa-long-straight-road-disappears-over-rolling-DNKFR6.jpg

Trainer is great for being time crunched. It gets boring at times but it's the best bang for your buck time wise and it's never cold/raining/snowing on the trainer.

I've dropped 20lbs and gained 50W on my FTP since shifting most of my training indoors. Hard to argue with that.

Back
Top Bottom