Best ss frames available... non custom?

W

What's Boost?

latest

are there different considerations on tire sizes when specing out a SS? Compared to a geared ht or fs that is...

are there different considerations on tire sizes when specing out a SS? Compared to a geared ht or fs that is...
I think some bikes like the pivot les (not sure exact model) can run 29er or 27.5 plus. Stache is the same. Giant xtc advanced the same. I actually plan to sell my superfly and usemy fatboy carbon as a 5" geared race bike in the winters and have a set of 27.5 plus wheels built up to run 2.8 or 3s as an ss summer bike.

Thanks.

I am using the bike for geared endurance as well. I figure @UtahJoe seems to be a fan of fs ss when he needs it so I will try it.

Take a looksy at LenzSport. He has a really nice sspeed/fs.

I'm sure quite a few fs bikes could be tweaked to work but nothing like a thought out design.

Based on the OP, I'm assuming this is primarily for XC use, and weight is a concern. If that's right, then something carbon that is easy to tension is probably the way I'd go - Pivot LES and Niner Air9 RDO (they don't offer the One9 anymore) are great choices. I'm actually planning on picking up the Niner this year because I love Niner's geometry. You mentioned slamming the front to get a low-front end - most of Niner's line has that kind of racey low front end already. I wanted something light and snappy to go with my Sir9 but I didn't want to lose that Niner feel, so the RDO is an obvious choice for me. BTW, Niner is also selling out this run of Sir9's and ending that line as well, so if you want a great, comfortable and raceable SS for endurance events, consider picking up that frame before they're all gone. The Sir9 is a great option for really long rides and races - never going to be as light as a carbon frame, but it's no clunker either and it takes a beating and keeps on rolling. And there is less concern of having to live with that creaking sound in the BB housing if you accidentally overtighten the EBB and squeeze the carbon housing. I don't think Pivot uses an EBB (they use a rear dropout that ... ummm ... pivots) so that carbon-specific issue wouldn't be a concern for those.
There are some new/old stock 2014 and 2015 one 9 rdo frames online as closeouts. Great value in my opinion. Especially given the ability to run gears downs the road. Probably save enough $$ to purchase components local...

Thanks.

I am using the bike for geared endurance as well. I figure @UtahJoe seems to be a fan of fs ss when he needs it so I will try it.

Not saying what I do is for everyone, but the minute I rode my scalpel set up SS...zero use for an SS HT anymore so I sold it. If you already own a good XC FS bike, its a great option.
I agree! Oh, wait....
oh man, I used to have that frame...I think it paralyzed me actually....probably the stiffest frame I have ever ridden.

Not saying what I do is for everyone, but the minute I rode my scalpel set up SS...zero use for an SS HT anymore so I sold it. If you already own a good XC FS bike, its a great option.

oh man, I used to have that frame...I think it paralyzed me actually....probably the stiffest frame I have ever ridden.

It forever turned me off hardtails the one time I rode it around here. :D

I agree with the Giant XTC Advanced +. This is my first single speed and I was super reluctant in purchasing one. I got this bike and it is awesome. It rides like a rocket and it sticks to the trails like glue with the wide tires. I would definitely recommend it!

Attachments

• IMG_5752.JPG
    IMG_5752.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 112
I agree with the Giant XTC Advanced +. This is my first single speed and I was super reluctant in purchasing one. I got this bike and it is awesome. It rides like a rocket and it sticks to the trails like glue with the wide tires. I would definitely recommend it!
Do want.

I bought a On-One Inbred frame for $163. Brand new. It's a steel frame. I love it
I've been eyeing up that frame for a long time. Where did you get it for that price?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom