Best ss frames available... non custom?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was the frame. I forget which one it was exactly.
ZOE_0001.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Making your current bike SS is the best SS. It's cheap and you already fit it. #singlespeedapaloozaiscoming

Pampa

+1 for the Niner Air 9 Carbon. I built that as a SS and love the geometry and how stiff it is. Great for XC racing. Not the best for long days on the saddle though. Last year I converted it to gears for a bikepacking trip and then I did feel beat up at the end of the day. A suspension seat post can probably help with that.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This was the frame. I forget which one it was exactly.
View attachment 45606
It says Air Nine on the TT..

I just built up my replaced New Pivot frame with a Boost wheel. Wolf Tooth makes and $18 adapter for the HOPE Pro 2 hub so minimal cost to upgrade to Boost.
So far the Pivot has been a fun bike. Very stiff doe.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm more or less considering making a Ss race machine in the near future. I have a carve right now and love it. I wanted to see what other options I had to work with.
Your other option, which makes the most sense is race the bike you love. Everyone will tell you the bike THEY are on is the best bike ever. You are new to racing so working on your engine, this is how you win races, the bike is secondary. If you are itching to spend money get a set of carbon Stans Valors for your current bike. Wheelset is the biggest improvement you can make on a bike and you can use them on your next bike.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Your other option, which makes the most sense is race the bike you love. Everyone will tell you the bike THEY are on is the best bike ever. You are new to racing so working on your engine, this is how you win races, the bike is secondary. If you are itching to spend money get a set of carbon Stans Valors for your current bike. Wheelset is the biggest improvement you can make on a bike and you can use them on your next bike.
Can't use qr stans on a new frame(if it comes down to that because BOOST...unless of course you Jerry rig it with a shim kit and thru axle adaptors.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
.unless of course you Jerry rig it with a shim kit and thru axle adaptors.
He can order Valors thru axle and get adapters if needed to fit his carve if he needs qr. If the Valors don't fit a new boost bike he gets a year from now he can give me his Valors:)
Why do people place soo much emphasis on bike/gear. If you don't win every fuckin race with you TOP DOWN builda-bike I'm gonna laugh at your ass.☺

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I didn't have the Farley I would sure as shit have the stache. That bike is sick and the stranglehold rear thru axel is what sold me on the Farley.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Why do people place soo much emphasis on bike/gear. If you don't win every fuckin race with you TOP DOWN builda-bike I'm gonna laugh at your ass.☺

The problem with not doing a top down build for a SS nowadays is that there are so few purpose-built SS's available now. You almost have to build them from the top down, especially if you do want a carbon frame. Even the Pivot and the Niner RDO don't come standard as a SS. They're just built to accommodate one gear as an afterthought.

But you're right about one thing - if someone thinks that the only thing standing between them and the top step of a podium is the bike they ride, they're kidding themselves. I've been on both sides of that equation more times than I can count - I've ridden away from guys on bikes that cost more than my car and I've watched guys on beaters drop me like I was changing a tire. High-end build or not, it's still about the engine.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
He can order Valors thru axle and get adapters if needed to fit his carve if he needs qr. If the Valors don't fit a new boost bike he gets a year from now he can give me his Valors:)
Why are you on a $6000 fs? :D

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The problem with not doing a top down build for a SS nowadays is that there are so few purpose-built SS's available now. You almost have to build them from the top down, especially if you do want a carbon frame. Even the Pivot and the Niner RDO don't come standard as a SS. They're just built to accommodate one gear as an afterthought.

But you're right about one thing - if someone thinks that the only thing standing between them and the top step of a podium is the bike they ride, they're kidding themselves. I've been on both sides of that equation more times than I can count - I've ridden away from guys on bikes that cost more than my car and I've watched guys on beaters drop me like I was changing a tire. High-end build or not, it's still about the engine.
My bike is purpose built to make me happy. My bad back isn't liking full time hardtailso I am seeing if I can make an fs ss work.

Top Bottom