Best ss frames available... non custom?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
For a friend...and info. never hurt nobody. What carbon, ti and ally options are available( no interest in steel)? Obviously Trek Superfly ss, Pivot Les, Giant XTC advanced...what else is out there? What would YOU build? If I wasn't personally building an ss top fuel I think the trek 9.8 stache carbon frame built up with all carbon would be a killer ss once the front end was slammed. How much better than 29+, super light mid fat can it get? Is it possible to make the stache aggresive enough for xc?

Last edited:

Blair

For a friend...and info. never hurt nobody. What carbon, ti and ally options are available( no interest in steel)? Obviously Trek Superfly ss, Pivot Les, Giant XTC advanced...what else is out there? What would YOU build? If I wasn't personally building an ss top fuel I think the trek 9.8 carbon frame built up with all carbon would be a killer ss once the front end was slammed. How much better than 29+, super light mid fat can it get? Is it possible to make the stached aggresive enough for xc?
How are you making that top fuel a ss?

solorider

Niner one 9 rdo. Can run gears as well. Carbon frame for under 1k.
IMG_3576.JPG

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It comes down to fit. I feel really comfortable and confident on my Trek Superfly SS. Sadly Trek is no longer making them.
@Riggedfmx you need to try out the ride to get a feel for which one fits u best. U can try my Trek Superfly, medium, which is probably your size...but they don't make it anymore.

Riggedfmx

I'm more or less considering making a Ss race machine in the near future. I have a carve right now and love it. I wanted to see what other options I had to work with.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Based on the OP, I'm assuming this is primarily for XC use, and weight is a concern. If that's right, then something carbon that is easy to tension is probably the way I'd go - Pivot LES and Niner Air9 RDO (they don't offer the One9 anymore) are great choices. I'm actually planning on picking up the Niner this year because I love Niner's geometry. You mentioned slamming the front to get a low-front end - most of Niner's line has that kind of racey low front end already. I wanted something light and snappy to go with my Sir9 but I didn't want to lose that Niner feel, so the RDO is an obvious choice for me. BTW, Niner is also selling out this run of Sir9's and ending that line as well, so if you want a great, comfortable and raceable SS for endurance events, consider picking up that frame before they're all gone. The Sir9 is a great option for really long rides and races - never going to be as light as a carbon frame, but it's no clunker either and it takes a beating and keeps on rolling. And there is less concern of having to live with that creaking sound in the BB housing if you accidentally overtighten the EBB and squeeze the carbon housing. I don't think Pivot uses an EBB (they use a rear dropout that ... ummm ... pivots) so that carbon-specific issue wouldn't be a concern for those.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This frame intrigues me

Yea, me too but I haven't made the jump to boost yet. That's another wheelset I'd have to buy because I got a new frame.

I had a carbon niner SS, and it was the harshest hardtail I ever had. The back triangle was ultra stiff which made for awesome power transfer but was really unforgiving in the bumpy stuff.

Also, I followed the directions exactly as they said for bottom bracket install.... including the exact loctite recommended and torqued to what ever they said....And that thing never made a peep.

Top Bottom