Best device to use to link up to a "smart" trainer

Danimal

So, i'm getting a indoor "smart" trainer and want to know what device everyone uses to link up to it. My phone is ancient so i can't use it to download the training apps. Any particular tablets that work well, or should i use something else?

So, i'm getting a indoor "smart" trainer and want to know what device everyone uses to link up to it. My phone is ancient so i can't use it to download the training apps. Any particular tablets that work well, or should i use something else?

upgrade phone. call provider, tell them you are leaving, get free, last gen phone.

Yeah, gonna most likely go the zwift route and see if i can gain any sort of leg strength in the off season, i freakin need it!
Friend lent me a smart trainer while I had a broken collarbone.

Old laptop works great. I actually bought a real cheap $130 windows laptop which runs TrainerRoad really well.

I can't compare it to an app on a phone or tablet, but it's really nice having it on a big screen.

Never tried Zwift, if I would think a higher end computer is the way to go to get the better graphics.

i have one of these sitting around waiting for someone to claim it.
it is a prior version

http://a.co/8GQhNoD

let me know if it will work for you.

Last edited:
The Kickr and Zwift is a pretty powerful training set up that is almost fun. We now have a Kickr demo station setup in the shop.

Come check it out.

Our price is the same as the online guys.
28F5974C-F6DD-4321-B9A3-98B36F63D50F.jpeg

What if I don't want to pay for Zwift or TR? Are there any free options?
I have absolutely 0 experience in anything but TR, but Golden Cheetah should control it, newer Garmin head units, Wahoo unit I think.

Wahoo may give software with their trainers or have it available, I have no idea though. I do know other trainer companies do that.

Zwift on an old PC works ok as long as your GPU (graphics card) meets the requirements. You'll also need the ANT+ USB dongle thingy.

The Wahoo fitness app is free and allows you to control the Kickr in varous modes (resistance/ERG/etc...).

I use PerfPro for doing structured workouts (rather, "used" back when I used to do that stort of thing). Zwift is way more fun.

You can connect the wahoo to the ipad using bluetooth or do you need to dongle ? Making sure i have everything i need before spendin some good money

You can connect the wahoo to the ipad using bluetooth or do you need to dongle ? Making sure i have everything i need before spendin some good money

Trainers connect right to your phone or iPad.

i was under the impression that you needed a smart trainer for zwift. i looked into it and it seems all you need is a speed sensor and cadence sensor.... looks like i will be zwifting sooner than expected... while on daddy duty of course.

If the trainer/sensors are bluetooth they connect to an iPad.

If the trainer/sensors are Ant+ only, you will need a Dongle for usb on the PC. I think the easiest way to use Ant+ on the iPad is through a bridge. Google is your friend.

ac

Back
Top Bottom