Best affordable way to ship a bike?

bergsnj

Whats a good and affordable way to ship a bike? I already have a bike box just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks.

I've now used bikeflights twice and very happy. I just shipped my bike to ID for $42 each way. What drove my cost up was I insured it.

Bikeflights.com used to be pretty cheap but now that they use UPS it's more expensive.

www.Shipbikes.com is the new one. Sent a bike from NC to WA and it was like $60?

I shipped bikes to UT and back this year using bikeflights & just checked rates on www.shipbikes.com to compare. shipbikes was a little cheaper...within $5.00.

Size matters here. UPS & FedEx really get you if you meet the "large package" threshold (longest side + 2x width + 2x height > 130 inches). It's hard to find boxes that fit FS 29ers below 130 inches. Short wide boxes like those used by Santa Cruz & Pivot work well if you can find them.

My anecdotal experience is that bike boxes shipped UPS tend to show up looking a lot more banged up than those shipped FedEx.

Has anyone shipped a bike in separate boxes? In theory you could do two smaller boxes vs. one big box. Curious if that works out better from a cost perspective.

Has anyone shipped a bike in separate boxes? In theory you could do two smaller boxes vs. one big box. Curious if that works out better from a cost perspective.

I wouldn't, sometimes Fedex will split-up packages and deliver them on different trucks/days even if they have the same tracking number.

I also wouldn't recommend using Fedex. A buddy of mine and I both shipped our bikes out to Sedona in February, same origin and destination. His arrived in time, mine took a tour of the western US before finally being delivered the day that I was scheduled to fly back home. I tracked it through that whole ordeal and never, at any time could anyone at Fedex help at all or tell me why it was diverted. Just SOL

Yes, I used to have to do this with some fat bikes/DH bikes. As for cost I never compared, just passed it onto the buyer.

I do agree though, try to condense to one package.

Interesting thread. So this is basically a cardboard box setup? If one had the idea of routinely shipping bikes between say NJ to FL, would it make sense to buy a hard shell case?

Interesting thread. So this is basically a cardboard box setup? If one had the idea of routinely shipping bikes between say NJ to FL, would it make sense to buy a hard shell case?
It depends if you can get a cardboard box easily when you want one. Cardboard boxes tend to get beat up in shipping over time, the other issues is there are times of the year that shops don't build many bikes or it rains a ton and some shops keep the cardboard outside. That being said I have had a legit bike case and some of them are primo.

Every time I ever needed a cardboard box to ship, the local shop had one they were happy to part with. I guess the “savings” may be with packing/unpacking each time, not needing bubble and tape all the time, that kind of thing.

Aren’t you retired? Just have two of the same bikes in each location, it’s not THAT expensive.

1560284981296.png

Back
Top Bottom