Bent wheel spoke...

carvegybe

So a stick decided to make its way into my rear (phew) wheel during a recent ride and ended up locking up my wheel and bending a spoke. Do I bend the spoke back with pliers? Do I loosen the spoke first? I assume one doesn't replace individual spokes... pardon the ignorant question. Thanks for any advice.

jklett

You can replace one spoke (and you should since a bent spoke can pull the rim out of true). If you can't tesion it properly, have a bike shop do it. Should be cheap.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Now you’re thinking outside the box!
Just so you know, new bike is the answer to every problem, cause N+1.

I’d bring it into LBS and have them put a new spoke on it. A lot of people will tell you how easy it it to do yourself, but I find it easier to have someone else do it.

Karate Monkey

A mild bend can be removed, a sharp kink is difficult/impossible to remove. Basically, if it can't be brought straight enough that it is straight when tensioned, it needs to be replaced.

Word for the wise: if you don't have a spoke wrench, don't touch it. If you do have a spoke wench, and you're not sure which way to turn it, don't touch it.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So a stick decided to make its way into my rear (phew) wheel during a recent ride and ended up locking up my wheel and bending a spoke. Do I bend the spoke back with pliers? Do I loosen the spoke first? I assume one doesn't replace individual spokes... pardon the ignorant question. Thanks for any advice.
Likely doing nothing is fine.

That said, replacement of the spoke is a hair more complicated than it may first appear.

Bring the wheel to your local shop

Make sure they make it round, true and dished.

carvegybe

A mild bend can be removed, a sharp kink is difficult/impossible to remove. Basically, if it can't be brought straight enough that it is straight when tensioned, it needs to be replaced.

Word for the wise: if you don't have a spoke wrench, don't touch it. If you do have a spoke wench, and you're not sure which way to turn it, don't touch it.
I have a spoke wrench and know which way to turn. But that is the limit of my readiness for the repair...

carvegybe

Thanks everyone. I will attempt the repair and see if i can true the wheel afterwards...fingers crossed.

Top Bottom