Bent chain

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
CcE7Rrh.gif

dmkalemba

From the picture, it doesn't really look bent, just looks like the links are pinching at the pins, so the chain doesn't straighten out... if that's all it is, try flexing the chain side to side... I've had that situation when fixing or replacing links and being sloppy with the chain tool... and flexing the chain sideways at those links loosens it up... hope that helps.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
From the picture, it doesn't really look bent, just looks like the links are pinching at the pins, so the chain doesn't straighten out... if that's all it is, try flexing the chain side to side... I've had that situation when fixing or replacing links and being sloppy with the chain tool... and flexing the chain sideways at those links loosens it up... hope that helps.

its bent right where the joint is not letting it move free quickly remembering it deviates from the chain line about 1/32 of an inch if not a little more. I can straighten it out fairly easily but was wondering if the chain needs to be replaced/ just buy replacement links(do they do that?).

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chains aren't expensive. Replace if you need.

Does just look like a stiff link. If it's not stretched, degrease it well, then lube well. Take extra time on the stiff links to work them out with some extra grease and wipe dry.

MTBTyler

Post a pic of the bike in the biggest 2 gears depending on the derailleur cage angle you may be able to just cut out the bad links.

jumpa

Screwed man. Gonna need a new bike. Sorry.

But in all reality if the chain is super bent just replace those 3 links. I'm running 2 quick Links on the same chain on my SS for easy gearing swaps no problem.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I would get a new chain regardless for the 20 or so bucks it is worth it as opposed to be stuck in the middle of the woods trying to make a very short chain work.

roc

I had a bent chain last week, turned out that there was a few teeth on the cassette that were mangled, check that.

Top Bottom