Bees do not equal fun

mntal

Off the rail trail on the north side of the park, one of the first entrances to the right (east) that leads to anronthers, there is a tree across the trail - it's newly fallen - about 1/8 mile in. There is a fairly good sized hive on that tree. Steer clear - buddy and I were out this morning and made the mistake of 1) not noticing the hive and 2) thinking we would move the tree. Not sure exactly what they are, bees or hornets, but they were not pleased with our thoughts and proceeded to sting my buddy 25+ times and me 4 or so. We called the park police and let them know - could really mess someone alergic or old up pretty good. Nature was not happy this morning.

Eileen

Same thing happened to me and a few friends last year. We got stung with wasps, but either way Ouch!!

mtgundlach

42+ times on the upper body alone, but who is counting...not to much fun getting stung, but I love riding MD! I think they were hornets

Last edited:

mtgundlach

I am doing well, thanks...apparently addrenaline is the what is recomended for stings and by the way I ran, screamed and stripped, I had plenty of it coursing through me!!! it would have been a great to get on video

syncroscat

Sorry to hear about your trauma. That's really really scary.

My husband is a beekeeper. He knocked over a hive once and got stung a hundred or so times. It's not cool.

BTW: He captures swarms and feral bees. If anyone comes across hives or swarms in Northeast NJ, it would be great if you PM'd me. Thx.

mntal

"I am doing well, thanks...apparently addrenaline is the what is recomended for stings and by the way I ran, screamed and stripped, I had plenty of it coursing through me!!! it would have been a great to get on video"

Mark actually ran faster down the trail than I have ever seen him bike. I wasn't far behind however...

JumpinJosh

Mark actually ran faster down the trail than I have ever seen him bike. I wasn't far behind however...

I did that once as a kid. Picked up a sawn log and realized it has a hornet's nest in it. Not fun as I am allergic, but not super allergic, i.e. massive swelling but no anaphylactic shock.

Did you know that hornets release some sort of pheremone that they use to mark you for other's to hunt you down. They can chase you for a mile or two down the road.

bruce.b

Dickwad
There was a trail in Splitrock coming off the Hawk Overlook ridge that we only rode down in the 1990's. There was a nest of bees for several years just off the trail and you wanted to be going fast at the front when you went by. There were some excellent sprints for the lead just before the bees. Someone would get stung pretty regularly, the price you paid for bringing up the rear. I loved that trail, it was exciting.

bruce.b

syncroscat

There was a trail in Splitrock coming off the Hawk Overlook ridge that we only rode down in the 1990's. There was a nest of bees for several years just off the trail and you wanted to be going fast at the front when you went by. There were some excellent sprints for the lead just before the bees. Someone would get stung pretty regularly, the price you paid for bringing up the rear. I loved that trail, it was exciting.

bruce.b

Bruce, are you suggesting that bees do equal fun? Nice story btw.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions