Bears, yesterday and today at Mahlon

Stocky

Ya know it's a given your going to see a bear or two on your ride at Mahlon . We're always on the lookout , looking way ahead , to your right and left , always mistaking that tree stump for a possible bear .
Yesterday riding in the WMA on the other side of the power lines ,we encountered from quite a distance 2 med size bears running away from us , headed in the opposite direction we were going .
Today same location , nothing until I think I hear a bike related faint noise . It's not me and I look back to ask my buddy " is that you " at the same time , like a freight train a bear ( assuming one from yesterday ) comes full speed down a tree and takes off in the same direction it did yesterday . It scared the daylights out of us . It's claws digging into the tree sounded like a tornado coming ..... Very fast , very violent .
My point is we never thought about them watching us from above in the trees. We're always on the lookout for them on the ground .
just something to think about .

Bears/Mahlon Area.

New to the site and never actually ridden Mahlon. I have picked up some trails off of Beaver Lake Road (Rt 23), about 5 miles away. Really great trails (not marked) old dirt bike and some PS&G equipment paths. Anyway, there are 2 sows, one with 2 cubs and one with 4. Not aggressive, but definitely in the area for sure.

going down the hill after the intersection of the orange and white trails and just before the right turn onto the red trail. it's like the country bear jamboree in yesterland at disney.

Saw my first bear of the season at mahlon this afternoon. Probably no surprise to anyone that they are active again given this weather. He ran away from me, but it still scared the crap out of me at first because I wasn't expecting it.

Awesome to hear. Just curious where you saw it. Would be nice if one moved back into Clyde's (RIP) territory...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions