Bears at the Tourne - 8/29

smackey

I ran into bears at the Tourne about 8:30 this morning. Has anyone else seen them? This is my first time encountering bears at the Tourne, but not the first time seeing bears in Denville. As I was on my own, it freaked me out.

John Baumann

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12344

I've been seeing them off and on there for a couple years now.

They seem to be real active everywhere now...

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw a smaller one there Wednesday evening.
I've apparently just missed them hiking a couple times there, but if I'm hiking I have the dogs. 200+ pounds of canine makes me pretty comfortable.:D (it's only two dogs, not 20 shits-yous)

Blk06CompIRL

i was there this past thurs and saw a little one around the top of green. he looked lost and confused and no momma bear in site.. i was expecting her to drop from a tree like a ninja... lol

smackey

I can't find a map with trail colors, and I've ridden there so long that I don't know any trail colors. Starting at the upper parking lot, and not heading to the top, I had climbed the switchback hill and descended the steepish downhill. At the intersection, I had turned right and was heading up the slow climb towards the lake and swimming area in Mountain Lakes. The brush comes in close to the trail and the bears popped up just to my right. I turned around.

@extremedave: that's what I get for not heading out with you. Also, I only had one defense, not two. The other being the "I don't have to out run the bears, I just have to out run you." :D

gtluke

The Moped
I almost hit on on 80 today in Parsippany. Whole eastbound lane locking up tires as things bear is running across all 5 lanes. Look both ways bear!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions