BB help

Wolfie2nd

I've got a 1984 trek 660 and im looking to replace the crank and bottom bracket. How would one figure out what BB to buy without going to LBS. Im out of commission for a bit and im going to start ordering parts to upgrade the old dog. Any help would be much appreciated

grilledcheeseking

What sort of crank are you looking to replace it with? Assuming it's a square taper and you want to replace with the same it's easy enough to pull the cranks off and measure the spindle length. Hope that helps.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've got a 1984 trek 660 and im looking to replace the crank and bottom bracket. How would one figure out what BB to buy without going to LBS. Im out of commission for a bit and im going to start ordering parts to upgrade the old dog. Any help would be much appreciated

If you can't figure out how to measure for the correct BB and crank, I'd suggest going to your LBS.

Wolfie2nd

If you can't figure out how to measure for the correct BB and crank, I'd suggest going to your LBS.
Well if i was able to drive and not recovering from recent shoulder surgery id of gone to LBS. But hey thanks for the great info. Just trying to kill some time

Wolfie2nd

What sort of crank are you looking to replace it with? Assuming it's a square taper and you want to replace with the same it's easy enough to pull the cranks off and measure the spindle length. Hope that helps.
Im looking to score a vintage group set off eBay. Really not sure how to get the proper measurements yet. Just built my first bike about 2 weeks ago. So im still learning.

qclabrat

What parts are on it now? And why you looking to change? The 660 came with decent parts. A bike of that vintage, I'd dress it with first gen Suntour Superbe Pro.

If you are interested, I have a dura ace 7700 and ultegra 600 gruppos I'm planning to put up on bike forums classified

Wolfie2nd

What parts are on it now? And why you looking to change? The 660 came with decent parts. A bike of that vintage, I'd dress it with first gen Suntour Superbe Pro.

If you are interested, I have a dura ace 7700 and ultegra 600 gruppos I'm planning to put up on bike forums classified
Right now the only original part on the bike is the suntour crank. Everyrhing else is mixed low end shimano. Looking to bring it back to down tube shifters and decent setup on a vintage group set. Id image it would be pretty hard to chase down all the original suntour stuff

Top Bottom