bad assumption on shocks

qclabrat

I've been building a longer travel bike and all parts finally came in last week
Including an x-fusion shock, which is the right eye-eye measurement but I ran into two problems
1) hole on shock smaller than the hardware on the bike
2) spacers on shock don't seem to match the frame, I have the original ones but still no good

the original shock was a BOS Kirk, which I really don't want due to the pain to service them and was trying to avoid using the other stock shock which is a Fox

are there other details I'll need to find the right shock? @alex_k nailed it, about getting the right shock
going to contact the manufacturer today

You need to replace the shock mount hardware. Numerous sizes are available for fox,rockshox, etc. Not sure about x fusion. QBP doesn't stock it for x fusion, so might need to go direct to them.

Why did you want to avoid Fox?

Also, what he said.^ There are different bolt, spacer, bushings, etc. because they are bike specific while the shock can be the same.

Why did you want to avoid Fox?

Also, what he said.^ There are different bolt, spacer, bushings, etc. because they are bike specific while the shock can be the same.

Avoid probably wrong word, meant to say try something other than a Fox, though the X2 looks really nice but not in price range

Unless it's an older version of the XFusion shock it takes the same spacers as Rockshox and Fox, 1/2". I've taken an Xfusion off my bike and put on a Monarch using the same spacers. With that said the newer 3 piece RockShox or Fox is better than the older style 2 piece so I'd buy new if possible. XFusion makes some good stuff but the shock does not have the dimple to equalize the positive and negative chambers due to patents. As such around 6 months or so it will feel like a pogo stick and rebound does nothing, removing the shock pulling the aircan and putting back resets it. I always relube with Slick Honey at that time as well and your good to go.

Unless it's an older version of the XFusion shock it takes the same spacers as Rockshox and Fox, 1/2". I've taken an Xfusion off my bike and put on a Monarch using the same spacers. With that said the newer 3 piece RockShox or Fox is better than the older style 2 piece so I'd buy new if possible. XFusion makes some good stuff but the shock does not have the dimple to equalize the positive and negative chambers due to patents. As such around 6 months or so it will feel like a pogo stick and rebound does nothing, removing the shock pulling the aircan and putting back resets it. I always relube with Slick Honey at that time as well and your good to go.
thanks, called Orbea and they have hardware for the Fox setup and awaiting the techs to get back to me at 365 bikes. I saw a note there that the hardware for X-fusion was the same for Marz and RockShox but not Fox. Is the width of the eyelets the same for Fox and Xfusion allowing use of the bushings?

The shock eyelets are the same Fox/RS/XF/Manitou (newer only), the hardware width and bolt diameter is frame specific. For example on my Breezer Repack, the bolt is 8mm on both ends, the top mount is 8mmX22.2mm, rear mount is 8mmX36mm. You can use a caliper and measure the BOS Kirk assuming it was mounted in your frame and had the correct hardware. Then you can order Fox or Rockshox anywhere locally or internet. If you need any help PM me, I'd be glad to speak with you.
One other add, most aftermarket shocks have options for compression and rebound tunes and it's best to match them to frame. You can call the manufacture and ask the shock tune, also look at a leverage ratio chart (RS has one) or look at the same frame but a different level (i.e. 1.0, 2.0., ...)and it may have a shock on it that you can determine the tune (this is last ditch effort). I know XF will custom tune for you, Rockshox has many tunes as does Fox. Retail shocks are typically medium for both rebound and compression but YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom