Back surgeons in Morristown area?

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Well, I go for a second visit with Dr Daknis this friday but I received results from the MRI. It shows I have a slightly posterior herniated disc L3-L4. Not sure if it’s old or new as maybe the doc can determine that. I feel it’s an old injury that I really just beat the shit out of this time. Finally a break in the pain department.
It still feels odd back there but I would say I can move pretty fluently. Looking back, I injured this initially 10 years ago and since then I have used a “wedge” coccyx support cushion in my car since then. This changes the angle you sit at so as to not sit in a bucket. I threw that nasty, ten uear okd pillow out about three weeks ago. I really think all the aggravation I have caused has stemmed from a combo of not usi g the pillow, poor posture while welding, over use and generally pulvering my back once I “slipped” at Iron Furnace.
On a final note, it’s scary when this happens as every bad thought goes through your mind. My family, my life, my health, my job, my biking! Here’s to hopefully being on the upside of healing again.
This is one of the reasons I have these.... heal quick dude..
1526466259607.png

ebarker9

Having been there and back (pun intended) several times i can totally relate. I have two herniated discs and two bulging. Really sorry to see anyone suffer through this. I would only add a few things (apologies if you have been advised accordingly already):
1) surgery should be the absolute last resort. I have had back surgeons themselves tell me this. If you see signs of progress to some semblance of normalcy after some time with rest and meds, surgery is often not recommended
2) When a disc is herniated, the body often finds a way to adjust and compensate, so time is your friend
3) don’t rule out muscle tension as the culprit. Cyclists are notorious for overly tight psoas, priformis, glutes, IT band and QL muscles. If you have a desk job like I do or sitting profession (like truck drivers) the tautness is only magnified. This tension can pull unequally in the spine and throw it out of whack.

Keep us posted. You have a lot of sympathizers here that want to see you get well.

As someone who has been down this road as well and is married to a PT, this is right on the money.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
As someone who has been down this road as well and is married to a PT, this is right on the money.
Well, I decided to go with the steroid injections and basically limit my “gnar” shredding. Not what I want to do but in reality I need to stay away from too much stuff that jars me through the seat. I was in the best shape of my life when this happened. I have been doing a good anount of roadbiking and still feel good. Back is almost back to normal but I am still very cautious. Surgery is absolutely a last resort as I will not do a hernia repair so the only other real iption is fusion.

Top Bottom