Back in the day ...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Proflex full suspension... Vbrakes were all the rage...Purple anodized parts were the king (though JimV still thinks so)...

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Proflex full suspension... Vbrakes were all the rage...Purple anodized parts were the king (though JimV still thinks so)...

I bought a Pro Flex from High Gear in the mid 90's when their shop was behind Shop Rite. The bike was blue and yellow and cool. The rear shock had elastomers that turned into round orange rocks. Ah those were the days! :D I think Jimmy V was still in kindergarden back than! :)

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I had this 96 Trek Y bike bike that had rim brakes and weighed a ton.... I was riding it last night!

Wobbegong

I remember z rims, and how much they could flex...

Old school BMX stuff is so cool. We didnt have the money for this candy when I was a kid, but I would drool over the rich kids bikes.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed

Old school BMX stuff is so cool. We didnt have the money for this candy when I was a kid, but I would drool over the rich kids bikes.

Weren't z-rims the ones you were supposed to be able to throw int he freezer if they got bent and they'd snap back to true? :D:D

In the last two weeks, I've seen a few old school set-ups on the trail:

• An old Schwinn FS with a Rock-Ring and V-brakes
  • Another rider rocking the brown suede Nike 3/4 high top MTB shoes
  • A bike with only one Spin composite wheel (the front.)
  • A Pro-Flex XC rig with a dual crown fork

JDurk

I have a set sitting in my parents basement. Yellow rims, with black high flange hubs, and yellow bread ties where the spokes cross. Loved watching my brother lay his over like a taco shell, then snap right back.

bigW

Back in the day...today.

Phooey on Proflex. :D :D

Was just puttering around on 1993 Trek 9000 today....

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

Actually I didn't really like the 9000 too much either, had it out today as I had to move it to poach the SPD pedals from Trek 7000 (1991) that will anyway become a towpath cruiser with platform pedals and fast rolling tires... :)

HumanVise

Phooey on Proflex. :D :D

Was just puttering around on 1993 Trek 9000 today....

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

Actually I didn't really like the 9000 too much either, had it out today as I had to move it to poach the SPD pedals from Trek 7000 (1991) that will anyway become a towpath cruiser with platform pedals and fast rolling tires... :)

Those 9000s could serve as the prototype for an airplane ejection seat! Oh, and the front tire seems to be on backwards :)

Last edited:

JerseyPete

I hated riding the Trek 9000. Damn, just looking at that bike brings back bad memories. It actually makes riding my Klein Mantra seem better.

bigW

When "less" was "more"

I hated riding the Trek 9000. Damn, just looking at that bike brings back bad memories. It actually makes riding my Klein Mantra seem better.

Agreed. It was a big let down as I was and still am very keen on my pre-suspension 7000, which I think with a change to ~1.6" fast tires will bridge the gap between the crossbike and FS MTB.

IMG_1512.jpg

:hmmm:

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Great reading! I have a 1986 Specialized Allez that we restored. I'll post a few pictures tomorrow. In the late 80's I was in Florida and I bought this cool Schwinn rigid mountain bike. The frame had this brown kinda anodized color to it. In the 90's I gave it away! Wish I still had it :cry: Hmmm, I think I'll go check eBay :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom